Auto lock and a sensor quit working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jetsjunke, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Jetsjunke macrumors newbie

I have a iPhone 3GS with 4.3 firmware. My auto lock feature quit working also when Im on my iPhone having a conversation the screen turns black against my ear but when I take the phone away while still connected to the call the phone doesn't light back up to say answer a text or look up something on the net. In order to hang up I need to wait for the other person to hang up or I have to hit the lock button to hang up. Both this issue and the auto lock feature both stopped working at the sametime.
    I havent gotten it wet or dropped it , I had it jailbroken with cydia when this started, I updated to 4.3 and that didnt cure it, I restored it and that did zip also . Hope some one can help me. Also is there a jailbreak for 4.3?
    Thx all

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No official JB for 4.3 just some unofficial tethered jailbreaks.
    If the restores and setup as new didnt fix it then its probably a hardware issue.
    If you're still under warranty bring it to Apple so they can replace it.

3. Jetsjunke thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't do the restore as "'a new iPhone " like you mentioned. I set it to restore as my most recent back up. If I do as a "new phone" will I loose all pics , media, vids, apps? Ringtones stuff like that?
    Im not sure if I'm still under warranty I got the 3GS the day it came out.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Give it a try to setup as new and then if it still wont work you can still open up itunes, right click the phone and select restore from backup.
    If you bought the 3GS on launch day then the warranty has expired unless you purchased Applecare that extends it 1 extra year.
    Find out for sure on this site:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

5. Jetsjunke thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I restored it as " new iPhone " and that fixed the auto lock and the proximity sensor, but totally erased all my contacts , media , pics vids apps ring tones ect..
    So I restored it to today's back up and got all that back but also got the auto lock and proximity sensor errors again. Least I figured out it's a software glitch. Is there anyway to restore it as new iPhone but transfer over all my personal info without the 2 bugs?

6. Cool Hwhip macrumors member

My iPhone hasn't been auto locking for weeks now. I've come to just accept my fate. I know restoring will fix it, but it's not worth it.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can sync over your contacts, ringtones and pictures thru iTunes after you setup as new. If you restore from backup again you will inherit the same bugs.

8. Hannah Montana macrumors newbie

This happened to me and I found a solution. OP, give me a list of your installed Cydia thing and I'll tell you which one it is. I removed a bunch of Cydia stuff I deemed unimportant and the phone autolocked again and don't know exactly which one it was.