Auto-login/autofill when connecting to wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aylwin, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Aylwin macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac OS but not to computers. I've tried searching but I keep getting answers to the wrong question. I'm NOT trying to connect to a protect wifi network via WEP or WPA. My problem is...

I'm trying to connect to an unprotected wifi network that has a web-based login page. So connecting to the wifi network is not the problem. But after I connect, a browser window (I assume Safari's) automatically pops up and I need to enter a username and password.

The question is... how do I get Safari (or the Mac) to remember the login credentials and autofill the username and password?

Safari has no problem remembering login credentials of other websites that I visit. I've also tried manually adding the credentials using Keychain Access but that didn't work either.

By the way, I'm using a 13" MacBook Air mid-2012 with Mountain Lion.

P.S. Although this is my first post, I've already gotten lots of answers from this site regarding other things. :)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sites have the ability to suggest (browsers don't have to obey the suggestion) that autofill be disabled for this site. It looks like you've encountered one of those. If you happen to have a password add-on, such as 1Password or LastPass, you may be able to get the add-on to bypass autofill restrictions.

3. Aylwin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! I didn't know sites had this ability. I guess then that Safari is obeying this request. Interestingly, I'm able to get my iPhone and iPad to autofill so it seems Safari for iOS doesn't obey this request.

Anyway, I have LastPass and I can get it working but not in an ideal way. LastPass is not able to autofill the popup window. I need to ignore/close the popup and open Safari. Safari will then redirect to the login page and there LastPass is able to autofill. It's a bit annoying but better than nothing.

I don't have 1Password so I don't know if it would work any better.

4. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Have you checked Remember user Names and passwords box in The auto fill section of Safari preferences?

5. Aylwin thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean this?

Screen Shot 2012-08-21 at 10.04.12 PM.png

As I said, there's no problem remembering login credentials on all other "normal" websites.