Auto-Merge

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mKTank, Jan 12, 2011.

1. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

That's right. Let's say somebody replies to a post. Finds another post that's worth arguing against, and clicks on Reply again. Well now he has two posts in a row which looks like ass and it seems the mods are constantly merging them.

Well then you could always use automerge. So instead of two posts in a row, it would just be one. The second post would be merged into the first. They would still be divided by a small "Edited:" that's written before merged content.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To report consecutive posts, click the report post icon [​IMG] and a moderator will merge them.

3. mKTank thread starter macrumors 68000

mKTank

Obviously. But this would make it easier for the mods.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Auto-merge double posts request

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Has anything on MacRumors ever been changed? Every time I see a good idea mentioned, the only posts are how it's hard to implement or 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' comments.
    Is there a single thing that's been suggested that's actually been changed?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Change for the sake of change is pointless. When you run a site of this magnitude, stability is critical. I would rather have fewer "gizmos" and have a reliable site.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

But what I mean is why do we even maintain the notion that this part of the forum should be to request new ideas? Wouldn't it be easier just to keep it for annoying ads?

8. mKTank thread starter macrumors 68000

mKTank

I do think the people who manage this site could learn a thing or two from SA or FP. Both are forums with also a ton of members that do complete over hauls basically every year, and nothing ever breaks. If you're worried that a simple automerge script is going to screw everything up, then boy is a new staff in order.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why does it matter? If the moderators aren't complaining about doing the job, what difference does it make? It affects them more than us.
    New ideas are welcome here, as the site leaders will tell you. This happens to be an idea that has already been discussed and evaluated and they elected not to use it. Just because ideas are welcome doesn't mean every idea will be adopted. They may elect to adopt this idea in the future, but until then, it isn't a big problem.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Instead of clicking reply, just edit your other post.

You can even report your own post if you accidentally consecutive posted. I can't speak for the other moderators, but merging consecutive posts is relatively easy and I generally don't mind doing it if you accidentally break this minor rule. That being said, don't abuse it either.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Most changes we've made were in response to user concerns, plus we've made many changes behind the scenes. But we're generally reluctant to install third-party vBulletin modifications because of the risks of decreased stability and reliability. Still, we've done so occasionally and have more under consideration.

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Actually we upgraded from vBulletin 3.6 to 3.8 a few months back adding things such as thread tags, thread prefixes in the marketplace, and the new user page.