Auto reload Safari tabs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EnZed Mac, Sep 13, 2008.

1. EnZed Mac macrumors newbie

While using Firefox 3 on my pc I often have one particular tab reloading every minute. As the pc is a shared machine and as the page I want to reload is in the investment markets, I wish to do this only on the mac which is not shared. Is it possible to do this with Safari or am I going to have to install Firefox? I'd prefer to only have one browser on the mac. Thanks for any assistance anyone can give.

2. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Most probably you'll need to instal Firefox.

But there are plugins for Safari. Check this.:)

3. EnZed Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help and link. I found one plugin that was able to auto-reload the active tab on a certain timeframe. With Firefox the plugin Reload Every can not only reload inactive tabs but can also reload multiple tabs and with varying timeframes. So for the moment Firefox wins.

4. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Sorry but i really don't need the reload feature so i can't be much of a help...

Maybe some other guy can help you!:)

Good luck!

5. glasserp macrumors regular

6. chloran macrumors newbie

Could you tell us what application you found that works for this? I've been looking but I haven't been able to find it. If I do find it I will post it as well.

7. EnZed Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

This what I used.

Hi chloran, Here is the link for "Reload Every" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/115?id=115. It works exactly as it's meant to and I am happy with it.

However! A word of warning!

I play the Prediction Markets a bit and I was using it to reload a page of a stock that was having some rapid changes in price. I had done a transaction from said page. Fortunately I had Firefox set to ask for confirmation of actions like said transaction.:rolleyes:

When using Reload Every if you reload a page on which you have done a transaction it is theoretically possible to end up doing the transaction again.

Now I use it to reload the stock page and use a separate page to do transactions. This page does not reload.

Reload Every is a small but highly effective and efficient Firefox extension but like a lot of pluins, extensions and programs, it must be used appropriately.

8. chloran macrumors newbie

For some reason I had completely missed the fact that you said you found one to work with Firefox. I was looking for one to work with Safari. One of my Extensions in Firefox "Tab Mix Plus" has the reload tab every blank minute feature. sorry about that

9. andys53 macrumors member

andys53

Safari version of reload every.

Hi, I wondered if you could let me know whereabouts you found the safari version or pass on it's name.
    Andy

10. EnZed Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't even recall what I used on Safari. I have found Safari to be a complete waste of time and have been using Firefox exclusively. Sorry I can't help you further.

11. andys53 macrumors member

andys53

Thanks anyway.:)

12. andys53 macrumors member

andys53

But sadly the link doesn't work.:(

13. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

14. ..-. macrumors newbie

So I've searched around the plug-ins at Pimp My Safari and have looked at Glims and haven't seen anything that'll do what ReloadEvery does on FireFox. It seems kind of stunning that this feature is absent from Safari. How can you go through three days of a Woot! Off without an automatic reload? I'd like to switch to Safari but this feature is a must. I'd trade pop up blockers for a reloader any day.

BTW, I'm not looking for a means to go through a Woot! Off without a reloader; that was more or less rhetorical.

Frank