auto rename

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lokrado, May 16, 2010.

1. Lokrado macrumors regular

I use Windows at work and something I really like about it is that Windows will automatically rename a file if another one exists with the same name. For example if there is a file on your desktop called somefile.doc and you download or copy another file with the same name to your desktop it will automatically rename the new file to somefile(1).doc, allowing the 2 files to co-exist without you having to manually change either name. Is there a way to make OSX do this automatically?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

OSX already does that automatically in many instances. Please be specific about a case where you believe it failed to do so, then perhaps someone can help.

3. Lokrado thread starter macrumors regular

right

right, when dragging files/folders

I have a ton of icons laying around and some 130 of them are called "Pictures" and i was copying them all to one folder for a quick scout through

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, that's not one of the instances that OSX can be told to handle auto renaming for, as far as I know. I suggest a different approach, which may or might not cost you some dough. Get a batch renaming app and change those filenames before moving/consolidating them in the same folder. I did a search, and here's the results page for you:

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...naming&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701

Good luck!