Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaporaction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Philadelphia
I use Windows at work and something I really like about it is that Windows will automatically rename a file if another one exists with the same name. For example if there is a file on your desktop called somefile.doc and you download or copy another file with the same name to your desktop it will automatically rename the new file to somefile(1).doc, allowing the 2 files to co-exist without you having to manually change either name. Is there a way to make OSX do this automatically?

vaporaction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Philadelphia
I guess what I meant was when dragging a file into a folder that already has a file with the same name. In windows it'll give you a dialogue box with the option to allow it to automatically rename the file. In OSX you only have the option of overwriting the file or aborting the move.

VerifyMe

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2010
Rename option for less than 4 files in OSX...

I guess what I meant was when dragging a file into a folder that already has a file with the same name. In windows it'll give you a dialogue box with the option to allow it to automatically rename the file. In OSX you only have the option of overwriting the file or aborting the move.

I liked this feature in Windows and was also looking for this solution in OSX. In OSX (at least Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion), the Finder will give you the option to rename the duplicates, just like Windows, if you attempt to copy/move LESS than 4 files. If you try to copy/move MORE than 4 files it will not give you the option to rename, only to skip or replace. I don't know why the threshold is set to four but it's annoying when you have a folder full of hundreds of file duplicates. There should be a variable in OSX that you can set to increase the threshold for this but I have not been able to find it. :(

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

you should have "keep both" option

VerifyMe

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2010
you should have "keep both" option

I should have been more clear as well. In OSX you get the "keep both" option ONLY when you try to move/copy 4 or less files into a folder with duplicate names. If you move/copy 5 or more files into a folder with duplicate names, it only gives you the "skip", "stop", and "replace" options.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I should have been more clear as well. In OSX you get the "keep both" option ONLY when you try to move/copy 4 or less files into a folder with duplicate names. If you move/copy 5 or more files into a folder with duplicate names, it only gives you the "skip", "stop", and "replace" options.

ahh thanks i guess ive never noticed that

Dr. Rupesh

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2016

I cam to this forum looking for the solution of same issue. Then I tried copying similar files (Jpegs only or .movs only) and succeeded to copy 2000+ files to other destination with "keep both" option… Give it a try… Works like a charm...

dtrimble

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
San Francisco, CA, USA
I use Windows at work and something I really like about it is that Windows will automatically rename a file if another one exists with the same name. For example if there is a file on your desktop called somefile.doc and you download or copy another file with the same name to your desktop it will automatically rename the new file to somefile(1).doc, allowing the 2 files to co-exist without you having to manually change either name. Is there a way to make OSX do this automatically?

When the Skip/Stop dialog comes up, hold Option and the Skip button will change to "Keep Both", which renames the files as they get copied over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.