auto-renaming files when duplicate exists

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vaporaction, May 23, 2009.

1. vaporaction macrumors newbie

vaporaction

I use Windows at work and something I really like about it is that Windows will automatically rename a file if another one exists with the same name. For example if there is a file on your desktop called somefile.doc and you download or copy another file with the same name to your desktop it will automatically rename the new file to somefile(1).doc, allowing the 2 files to co-exist without you having to manually change either name. Is there a way to make OSX do this automatically?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...it already does this. If you've got "New File" it renames the next one "New File 1"- you can try it out with screen shots.

3. vaporaction thread starter macrumors newbie

vaporaction

I guess what I meant was when dragging a file into a folder that already has a file with the same name. In windows it'll give you a dialogue box with the option to allow it to automatically rename the file. In OSX you only have the option of overwriting the file or aborting the move.

4. VerifyMe macrumors newbie

Rename option for less than 4 files in OSX...

I liked this feature in Windows and was also looking for this solution in OSX. In OSX (at least Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion), the Finder will give you the option to rename the duplicates, just like Windows, if you attempt to copy/move LESS than 4 files. If you try to copy/move MORE than 4 files it will not give you the option to rename, only to skip or replace. I don't know why the threshold is set to four but it's annoying when you have a folder full of hundreds of file duplicates. There should be a variable in OSX that you can set to increase the threshold for this but I have not been able to find it. :(

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you should have "keep both" option

6. VerifyMe macrumors newbie

I should have been more clear as well. In OSX you get the "keep both" option ONLY when you try to move/copy 4 or less files into a folder with duplicate names. If you move/copy 5 or more files into a folder with duplicate names, it only gives you the "skip", "stop", and "replace" options.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ahh thanks i guess ive never noticed that

8. Dr. Rupesh macrumors newbie

Dr. Rupesh

I cam to this forum looking for the solution of same issue. Then I tried copying similar files (Jpegs only or .movs only) and succeeded to copy 2000+ files to other destination with "keep both" option… Give it a try… Works like a charm...

9. dtrimble macrumors member

When the Skip/Stop dialog comes up, hold Option and the Skip button will change to "Keep Both", which renames the files as they get copied over.

10. willyyy_wonka macrumors newbie

willyyy_wonka

Omg thank you! you are a life saviour!