Auto-rotating Homescreen on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JASApplications, Jul 26, 2011.

1. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Do you think an auto-rotating homescreen would work on the iPhone like it does on the iPad? Could it Apple implement it in a future iOS?

2. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

It actually does work, but you have to JB your phone (ie; SBrotator).

Don't know if Apple would implement such thing though.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'd think they could (and might) make an orientation setting where you picked which way you wanted it to be.

I don't think an 'auto-rotate' function would work on the phone, though. You simply move it around too much just by using it. The iPad usually doesn't move so much when you use it so it works there, but I think it would spin way too often on a handheld phone.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Small has a point about AutoRotate. Your phone just goes through so many different angles that I think it would eat too much at your RAM to really be beneficial.

This is also purely my opinion, but I can't really see using this particular feature. I like my SpringBoard the way it is: portrait. It would be nice to have though at least as an option.

5. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Icons would be small to fit landscape and text would be cut off. I know it be nice to have an option, but you really have no reason to use it landscape.

It's different with the iPad because there's more room so it may feel more comfortable using it landscape. In addition, it's pretty much system wide on the iPad, even with apps from the app store, 90% of iPad apps can be turned any way you want.

6. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh, it would get really annoying if it kept on rotating when you didn't want it to. An option in Settings would be good I think.

7. profets macrumors 68040

Actually I find the iPhone very comfortable to use in landscape for extended periods of time. I think home screen rotating would be a nice option, as right now when i'm using it in landscape, I use the multitasking tray quite often for jumping around between apps.. would be nice if it could work in landscape as well.

8. troop231 macrumors 603

I think Apple's reason is because an incoming call coming in needs to be in portrait right side up. I know this is why a well designed iPhone app will not rotate to portrait upside down, because it's in one of Apple's dev documentations on iOS human interface guidelines.

9. profets macrumors 68040

Ahhh, great point, really never thought about that (rotating to upsidedown like the iPad can).

10. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah yea, that's makes sense! Guess they won't be doing it anytime soon then!

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I've got SBRotator and I think it's pretty sick. More of a gimmick than anything but I think it's just cool that I can do that. :D

12. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

I wish theyd just make every stock app landscape compatible already -_-

Hopefully Notification Center gets Landscape support too.. What happens if your viewing safari in landscape and swipe down from the status bar??

Does the content inside of Notification pull down rotate? so that the content slides in from the left / right in landscape?

If not.. Thats just ridiculous