Auto-run an app/shortcut when a disk is connected?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MiataMac, Jul 26, 2010.

1. MiataMac macrumors member

I just got a WD My Passport Essential but I'm not too fancy about their SmartWare software. It seems buggy and really unnecessary, when the only thing I want is the password protection (encryption) built-in to the drive.

Unfortunately, when I connect the drive, I have to click on the virtual CD that then mounts and then launch "DriveUnlock" app to enter my password. I had hoped it would integrate with OS X better. Once password is entered, the disk will mount my drives.

Anyway, is there a way I can get OS X to run that DriveUnlock app by itself when it sees the disk being connected? I doesn't help to make it run when the drives are mounted since they don't mount until after password is entered.

Thanks.

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Have you looked into Automator? I'm not at my Mac, but I'm thinking it would be possible to create a workflow that launches the app from the virtual disc when that mounts.

3. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Above poster is correct. You should be able to achieve this with Automator.

4. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

I've looked at Automator but I don't see any actions that would be triggered by a (virtual) CD being mounted.

Any idea what it might be called?