Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gowdalokeshs

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
bangalore
Hi,

I'm using iPhone 4, and I want my iPhone application to automatically launch as soon as i switch on the device...

gowdalokeshs

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
bangalore
application auto start when the iOS device is switched on!

Hi,

I am developing one application, where i want to launch the application when the iPhone 4 is switched ON. i.e. , my app would be running all the time even if the device is restarted. Is this possible.... ?

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi,

I am developing one application, where i want to launch the application when the iPhone 4 is switched ON. i.e. , my app would be running all the time even if the device is restarted. Is this possible.... ?

I don't know about jailbreaking, but it may be possible on jailbroken devices.

Otherwise, Apple would need to add the option to launch apps when you boot the device. :)

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The maps app (using Google Maps) is a streaming app (you need a data connection to see maps) launched when you touch the icon. It does not launch automatically.

It uses assisted-GPS (cell tower triangulation) for quickly figuring out your location (within a few hundred meters) then uses satellite GPS (after 30-45 seconds) to get your exact location (within a few meters)

What other features are you specifically wanting to know more about?

gowdalokeshs

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
bangalore
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

What other features are you specifically wanting to know more about?

I want my iPhone application to automatically launch as iPhone is switched ON... any way I can do this?
Because as soon as i start up the iPhone device, the app should be launched with the last exit status.

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
Could fishkorp shine some light on how to start a background process on launch? And what do you mean with launch, device start?

He mean when the app is launched.

There is no way to schedule an app or process to start on boot.

And thank god for that, the iPhone would be so slow because everyone would try to take advantage of it.

c356040

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2010
And thank god for that, the iPhone would be so slow because everyone would try to take advantage of it.

I personally don't thank Apple for restricting boot starting apps only to their own Telephone application, as I use my iPhone as a small iPad: with a data only sim (USIM) on which you can't establish nor receive any voice calls.

On the other hand this isn't such a big deal (only awkward) as turning the phone off and on, using the swipe action, keeps all apps running as were running before the phone was turned off.

Only in the case of a hard reboot, this boot starting apps inconvenience is kicking in.

furrybaer

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
Your mail/calendar app autostarts I believe...

I get calendar alerts without starting my mail/calendar. I think it probably could be done. Just not sure how. I need to figure it out for an alert app for monitoring Server Statuses for our IT department...

thanks

mark

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I get calendar alerts without starting my mail/calendar. I think it probably could be done. Just not sure how. I need to figure it out for an alert app for monitoring Server Statuses for our IT department...

thanks

mark

Google push notifications

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.