Auto startup Mac without Power Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neo-Tech, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Hello,

I have been looking for ways to automatically startup my Mac after I come back from school. I saw the feature in Energy Saver but it wasn't good enough, it doesn't let me specify specifically on what I want it to do and it wouldn't let me start it up automatically without the power adapter. I came across Power Manager and gave that a whirl but it has the same issue, it won't automatically start unless I have the power adapter plugged in.

I have contacted the developers of Power Manager and this is what they said: Power Manager can not power on recent Mac laptops while they are disconnected from mains power. This is a hardware restriction outside of our control. I believe Apple's engineers wanted to avoid you powering on and draining your battery without your being present.

Is there anyway of bypassing this hardware restriction?

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

Why do you need to start it automatically? Why not just have the machine in sleep and then hit a key when you come home?

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

As far as I know, the power management system simply was never programed with the concept of scheduled startup while on battery.

4. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

Because sleep still uses power. I left it once on sleep overnight and I didn't have enough juice for the rest of my day.

That's a shame. I thought it was possible but meh. I'll just have to live with the 40 second startup and 20 second logon. Thanks for your help guys :)

5. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

Hai,

Sorry for bumping an old thread but it's to do with auto starting the Mac.
    So, I adapted to my Mac's needs and have found a convenient place to leave my Mac plugged in when I'm out and about. I tried the auto wake feature today and it worked, kinda. The problem is, when the lid is closed, the Mac turns on, but goes back to sleep because it detects that it's closed. Is there anyway to keep it on with the lid closed? I know I can use InsomniaX but it's just more crap in my menu bar and I've got enough already.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Neo-Tech

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Keep the lid slightly ajar? Not much of a solution, but if the lid's not completely closed, it won't go back to sleep right?

7. gorn macrumors member

InsomniaX will keep the computer awake while the lid is shut. It's open source so you can take out the menu bar bit if it really bothers you that much. Another option is putting some kind of metal where the magnet is to absorb/disperse the field and trick the sensor. A washer on the trackpad worked on the old powerbooks. Don't know about the macbook pros.

8. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, looks like I'll have to stick with InsomniaX.

Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated :)