Auto-Sync When Charging

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Shrink, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It is my understanding that with iOS5 the phone will automatically sync with iTunes when it is plugged in for charging.

I charge my phone by plugging it in to my MBP while I am using it (I know it won't charge if the computer is shut down or sleeping.)

So here is my usual dumb question - Will the sync occur if the phone is charging off the computer?

Yes, I know I could just go to iTunes>Sync, but this would be terrible because I would not be taking advantage of that whole PC-FREE!!! thing. Anyway, those two extra clicks are an enormous strain and are probably shortening my life. (I'm old and can't afford to lose any time)

Anyway, will the phone sync if charging off ANY power source?

Thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

iTunes typically autoruns when you connect an iDevice, and starts syncing, so that should stay. If you have that turned off, then it should simply treat the USB port as a power port, and nothing else.

TEG

3. Shrink thread starter macrumors G3

Shrink

In the past, whenever I plugged my VZ iPhone 4 into my computer and entered iTunes it would automatically sync.

For some reason now I have to click on my phone>sync to initiate sync. Did I change some setting and not realize it?( another senior moment)

Also, if I am understanding correctly, using my computer for charging WILL initiate auto-syncing with iOS5.