Auto Syncing with Mutiple Libraries??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sap12690, Jun 6, 2011.

1. sap12690 macrumors 6502

Hmm... I was wondering, how would auto syncing work with several libraries. I have three libraries (All Music, iPad, iPhone). So would my iPhone auto sync even if the "all Music" library is open? Or would the corresponding library have to be open?

2. bilibug macrumors regular

bilibug

I noticed in the new terms of service for iTunes that you can only sync an idevice to one account. You can only change the account once in a 90 day period. That sucks for those of us who share apps with spouses/family, or who have multiple itunes accounts.

3. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

I only have one account, but three libraries. My "all music" has almost 7,000 songs and over 100 movies, while my "iPhone" and "iPad" have only selected favorite music since it can't all fit on those devices.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You don't need separate libraries for that. In your main library, make a playlist called "iPad" and another called "iPhone." In each playlist, place the songs you want on your iPad and your iPhone. Then just sync that playlist to your iPad and iPhone instead of syncing the entire library.

Same with movies, you can pick and choose which movies you want on each device.

5. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hadn't thought of that, the only problem is I can't make playlists for my iPhone if I do it the way you suggested.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What do you mean you can't make a playlist for your iPhone? I do this for my iPad and my iPod touch -- I have a separate playlist for each device. Where exactly do you have a problem?

7. sap12690 thread starter macrumors 6502

Making actual mixes of songs on the actual iPhone, how would that work when your syncing it?

8. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Why do you make a playlist as opposed to just selecting what playlists, albums, artists, etc for each device in the menu when you plug in the device?

I get the question in regard to the auto sync and iCloud, but as far as now, it sure seems simple just to select which content you want on each device.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You just make them like you do now -- whatever changes you make on the iPhone would sync back to the computer when you connect.

Or if you'd rather not sync, you can set your iPhone to manage music manually, and drag and drop the stuff you want into the iPhone from iTunes.

Point is, there's no reason for you to have a separate iTunes library for each device. iTunes is designed to manage multiple devices from a single library. I gave you an example of making a playlist for each device, but that was to make the explanation simpler. You can make, for example, Playlists 1-10, and sync the odd numbered ones to your iPad and the even numbered ones to your iPhone, and have Playlists A-C that sync to both devices.