Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I am finding that unlocking our iMac with my Apple Watch does not really work when there are two user accounts.

Unlocking seems to work only if I am continually using my user account. Once my husband switches user to get into his account, and then I switch user back to my account, unlocking does not seem to work any more, I continually have to enter my password. The only thing that seems to restore unlocking of my user account with my Apple Watch is restarting the iMac.

My husband does not have an Apple Watch.

Is that how Apple intended? Is anyone having a similar issue when there are two user accounts?

Thanks

andylel

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
I spent a long time trying to fix this but it is an issue. Both of our macs exhibit the same behavior. Apple are aware of it and have been for a long time (since unlock was implemented).

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I don't have a solution, sorry, and we don't use fast user switching very much at all anymore, so this isn't really relevant for me, but my new mac mini does work, meaning I can switch user accounts that have a password, then switch back to my main account that uses the watch, and that will unlock. There is no obvious setting for this to make it work, but I do see that I have it set to require the password after 4 hours, so you might want to check that (switching users requires a password instantly no matter what this setting is set for and the watch works for that switching).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.