Auto Unlock not working for MacBook Pro

snerkler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Since updating my Apple Watch series 2 to the latest firmware (5.1.2) it's stopped unlocking my Touch Bar MBP. I've checked security and privacy on my MBP and the 'allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac' is still checked. They are both signed into the same iCloud account and bluetooth is turned on.

Any ideas how to fix this?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
This has not happened to me in awhile, but I seem to remember that rebooting phone, watch, MBP seemed to fix this. This is assuming that all other parameters are set correctly, such as BT.

snerkler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
have the same problem. Any soltuions? I tried everything.
On the Mac I went into preferences > security and unchecked unlock with Apple Watch. Restarted both watch and Mac and checked the unlock with Apple Watch again. Been working fine since :)

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
It's been broken/inconsistent with my Series 5 for awhile. It's not the Mac, since my 3 works fine. Today it said 'unlocking with Apple Watch' for a few seconds then said 'Touch ID or use Password'

Two weeks ago, it was broken completely, just went right to 'Touch ID or use Password' didn't even act like it was looking for the watch. Again, Series 5 problem, Series 3 unaffected.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
It's not the Mac, since my 3 works fine
Or not: had same issue with my 3 a few weeks back.

Unfortunately, can't recall if simple reboot, toggling of Bluetooth, or signing in/out of iCloud fixed the issue.

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
It comes and goes for me. Reboot never fixed mine being inconsistent. I'm blaming my Series 5. The darned thing has been half baked since I bought it. Should have stuck with the series 3. Might go back to it. I've been quite unhappy with the 5.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
I have found that using a USB-A (USB3) port on my Mac mini interferes with the Bluetooth connection between the Watch and the Mac. Once I stopped using the outermost USB3 port, I had no more problems with auto-unlock.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Mine has the USB-C ports so that's not it.

If I disable Wifi on either watch it breaks auto-unlock completely, even though it's actually using Bluetooth to actually do it. I don't understand that.

konqerror

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2013
If I disable Wifi on either watch it breaks auto-unlock completely, even though it's actually using Bluetooth to actually do it. I don't understand that.
It first establishes a link via Bluetooth LE then uses Wi-Fi to determine your range.

Wando64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2013
It comes and goes for me. Reboot never fixed mine being inconsistent. I'm blaming my Series 5. The darned thing has been half baked since I bought it. Should have stuck with the series 3. Might go back to it. I've been quite unhappy with the 5.
same thing on my S4

de.ke

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2019
Guys your right. I factory reseted the watch. I worked for like 5 times and then it failed again. Solution was to uncheck the autounlock feature on the mac and restart both devices. It work 2 out of 5 times now. It would be great if the autounlock feature had the same reliability as handoff now.
- - Post merged: - -

Mine has the USB-C ports so that's not it.

tried it. Same sh**.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
I'm seeing threads that mention some failings of the S4 that match some of the failings of my S5. I thought the S4 would have been the way to go until stock was deleted and they only carried the S5.

I still have my S3, and it's still much faster and more responsive than my S5, and the microphone actually works. The screen goes out when I turn my wrist away like it should, While my S5 tends to keep the screen awake (not AOD, but wide awake like you're looking at it) indefinitely unless you catch it and jiggle your wrist. I have been caught at least once with a dead battery out of nowhere until I caught mine staying full awake after a couple minutes a few times.

When auto-unlock works, it's slower--much slower with my S5 vs the S3. Also, Siri is dead slow on my S5. It's like a core on the CPU is dead.