Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanft

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Hamburg, Germany
Hi everyone,

I am experiencing a strange problem after having updated my MBP 2019 16" to Big Sur: I can auto-unlock my current macOS session only once using Touch ID. The next time the system is locked the lock screen still shows the text notification that I can use Touch ID to unlock the system, but the touch bar shows no Touch ID hint and the Touch ID sensor is inactive.

If I logout and login, auto-unlock using Touch ID is working again.

It only affects auto-unlock. All other parts of macOS that use Touch ID are working flawlessly (i.e. unlock system settings).

Is there anybody else with this problem?

Regards,
Stephan

Reactions: alecgold

AUqyfvfv

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am experiencing a strange problem after having updated my MBP 2019 16" to Big Sur: I can auto-unlock my current macOS session only once using Touch ID. The next time the system is locked the lock screen still shows the text notification that I can use Touch ID to unlock the system, but the touch bar shows no Touch ID hint and the Touch ID sensor is inactive.

It only affects auto-unlock. All other parts of macOS that use Touch ID are working flawlessly (i.e. unlock system settings).

Regards,
Stephan

Hi Stephan,

I can't use Touch ID to auto-unlock even once for my MBP 2019 16" which is just upgraded to Big Sur. Tried removing fingerprint and adding it back as well as doing SMC reset, no luck. Likewise, I can use Touch ID to unlock other settings.

Regards,
Bob

ayush99

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Hi everyone,

Regards,
Stephan
I am also facing the same problem, have you found the fix? Also, I feel that my battery is draining much faster. I used only safari for some youtube videos and normal browsing but my battery lasted barely for 3 hours.

gbvrules

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
I can confirm this is a thing. Touch ID and stored fingerprints still work for all other purposes, just not at the Lock Screen, nor does the Touch Bar even show the arrow prompt there. None of the usual ritual fixes work: toggling Touch ID on and off, deleting and re-adding fingerprints, resetting the NVRAM and SMC. After any of these and a reboot, Touch ID will unlock the machine exactly once (as noted by OP), even without showing the prompt, but not on subsequent attempts.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Same here, PRAM, SMC, removing and adding finger prints, fitst time it works, after that I can't use it to login.
Is there an apple support thread perhaps?

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I found that if I let my MacBook Pro sleep by closing the lid, that the FPR does work.
Only when the screen stays open it doesn't work properly.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: DThompson55

gbvrules

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
I found that if I let my MacBook Pro sleep by closing the lid, that the FPR does work.
Only when the screen stays open it doesn't work properly.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Same for me as well -- somehow the difference between closed-lid sleep and time-out sleep makes all the difference for Touch ID, so that's a clue. The "Unlock" prompt with arrow even returns to the Touch Bar. Unfortunately, my use case has the laptop on a stand with the display open almost all the time, so manually closing and opening it just to use Touch ID isn't much of an option.

Reactions: DThompson55

fernelius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
I'm having this problem as well. All TouchID functions disappear after one boot. The TouchID control panel has all the TouchID options disabled, and the fingerprints have disappeared. When I click on "Add Fingerprint," it says "Fingerprint limit reached." This account has no fingerprints listed (should have two), and the other account has none and hasn't had them in the past. This is on a MacBook Pro 15 (late 2017). I've tried clearing the PRAM and SMC without correction. Another set of threads recommend rebooting in recovery mode and using terminal to enter "xartutil -erase-all". DO NOT DO THIS ON A SYSTEM WITH A T2 SECURITY CHIP according to the threads as it messes with other items. On my system with a T1 chip, it allowed me to startup, configure TouchID, and enter new fingerprints; however, upon restart, I was back where I was in the beginning. I can still unlock with my Apple Watch 5, but I'd like TouchID back.

wyattstorch42

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2020
Sorry to hear this didn't work for you, but I wanted to report that it did work for me.

I have two user accounts on my 2018 15" MBP (A1990). I had disabled the fast switcher, wanting to cleaning up the icons on my menu bar that I don't use. I reenabled it this morning, then tried putting the computer to sleep, then woke it with the keyboard. The Touch ID worked this time and a second time now, so I'm optimistic!

I recommend anyone else with this issue give this a try as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.