Auto-Update iTunes Library(s)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bmorris, Nov 23, 2009.

1. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

I have a Mac mini (used as an HTPC) w/ an external HD to hold my music.
    My girlfriend has a Macbook and I have a Macbook Pro.
    We both use the external as our iTunes library at home and Simplify Media when we're away from home.

What's the easiest way to have all 3 iTunes Libraries (all using the same folder on the external HD for Library) to auto-update when we add music?

We have to have separate .lib libraries on our personal Mac's so we can update our iPhones and burn CD's, but those .lib still look at the external HD for the files.

I need to be able to add a CD to iTunes from any computer, which the library is shared by all 3. Then go to the other Macs' iTunes and just update the libraries so the new music is showing in their iTunes.

Is there a script, program, or setting?
    All 3 Mac's have the latest iTunes and Snow Leopard.

2. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

Are you saying you want to move from a single library file to multiple library files on each machine, yet still keep them synced?

If you want it automated you could try this hint from Doug's iTunes scripts:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/diy1network1.php

It's a very complicated set up that I haven't tried, but if you're really interested, it may do the trick.

3. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

I have all 3 mac's looking at an external drive connected to the mini.
    But if i add music from a cd to the library on my gf's mac, my library and the mini's library doesnt update.

The folder of music is in the library's location. iTunes just doesn't auto-update it's library. like plex does.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

If you have them all pointing to the same iTunes Library location, all that is needed to update them is just to restart iTunes. It would be best if iTunes was closed on other machines while adding music.

5. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

I have them all pointed to the same external hard drive, but turning iTunes on/off doesnt automatically update the library.

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

You can't just point them to the same iTunes Media Folder, you have to point them to the same iTunes library file (.itl extension on Windows, not sure what it is on a Mac). This is the file that holds most of the actual "library" information, the Media folder just holds your content itself. On Windows, you hold down the shift key while opening iTunes which allows you to select a .itl file. I'm sure there is a similar setup on Macs.

I've read that its not a good idea to have more than on computer accessing the .itl file at a time or you could corrupt your library. To be safe, only have iTunes open on one computer at a time if you are sharing a .itl file among multiple computers.

7. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

each computer has it's own library but they use the same files in the same folder.

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Right, but what I'm saying is that since iTunes doesn't have an honest to goodness watch folder feature like other programs have (the Automatically Add To iTunes folder is close, but not quite the same thing), so simply sharing the same files in the same folder isn't enough to auto-update your library. You will either need a script of some sort to allow this, or share one .itl file among computers.

9. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

Uh yeah I know. That's what I've been asking for. A script for 10.6 that will update the other 2 libraries.

10. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

11. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

How about something not $40.
    I have TuneRanger, it sucks.

I found an apple script that works most of the time.

12. androiphone macrumors 65816

can you not just copy the files over the network to the external hard drive when you are in range then re-add them to the other computers, abit like a NAS

13. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

the problem with that is if add like 3 cds at once,
    then i have to go back on the other 2 macs, look for the cds on the external hard drive, and add them. and then itunes goes thru it processing pop up.

not to mention the processing box takes longer since its a wireless library.

I need to be able to add the cd to itunes from any computer, which the library is shared by all 3. then go to the other macs' itunes and just update the libraries so the new music is showing in their itunes.

i found a script that works,
    right-click on any folder>services>"sync itunes", and it shows a warning to make sure ur itunes library is connect right, and starts looking for anything in the designated folder that is new from the past 15 days, then adds that to the itunes library.

but sometimes the script says error and cant connect, and u have to fidget with the itunes libraries, connecting and disconnecting type stuff, sometimes reboot.

for the most part it does what i need and works fine.

http://www.robertvenema.nl/journal/archive/itunes-library-auto-update-for-mac-os-x/

macrumors has a guide to this type thing too, but it was a little over my head.

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Well that's why I suggested sharing your .itl file... it has its risks, but they are easily avoidable if you know what you're doing and back up the .itl file regularly. When I mentioned that, you responded about sharing all of the same media folder... which I already knew... since I suggested sharing the .itl file, lol. We're in a loop.