Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

S Khan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2015
Hey guys

Just wondering if you can help please.

I am a long time dropbox user on Android and when I take a photo, it auto loaded to Dropbox without any user intervention.

I moved to the 6+ at launch, and this issue has been driving me nuts. When I take a photo, it adds it to the upload list in Dropbox, but does not actually upload to Dropbox unless I had the app open.

I've checked all my settings and they seem OK. I thought this was a dropbox issue, so I moved to Google Photos today, and notice it is doing the exact same thing.

Can anyone advise please? Do I have some incorrect settings?

Settings-General-Background App refresh is set to on for both apps.

Please advise and thank you in advance

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
Background app refresh allows apps to download stuff in the background so app stay up to date. It is not true multitasking. So you won't be able to do what you want to do.

S Khan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2015
Background app refresh allows apps to download stuff in the background so app stay up to date. It is not true multitasking. So you won't be able to do what you want to do.
thanks mate

I take this restriction does not apply to icloud?

Cozmosis

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Yeah, unfortunately iOS background application utilization is dreadful compared to Android, unless you're an Apple system app.

Dropbox has the ability to wake with GPS to upload but that's super hacky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.