auto_smb problem

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by loxxol, Oct 25, 2013.

1. loxxol macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Long time reader - first time poster.

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing an issue with auto_smb mount-points in /Volumes disappearing?

on my late 2011 MBA (ML 10.8.5) i have 2 mount-points, for reference sake:

/Volumes/a
    /Volumes/b

and two SMB shares mounted via auto_master / auto_smb - all working fine.

On the cMBP, i had the same set-up, however, since upgrading to Mavericks, the mount-points seem to be removed on reboot.

so, pre-reboot /Volumes/a & /Volumes/b exist, and post reboot they're removed - which ultimately causes the auto_smb to silently fail (and of course unable to manually mount with 'sudo automount -vc' until the mount-points are re-created).

Am i missing something...?

2. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

All my shared time machines drives have disappeared!

3. loxxol thread starter macrumors newbie

There wis something in the back of my mind the /Volumes has some funky permissions, that by default, don't allow you to create (permanent) directories....

Can anyone recall the runes needed to change this default behaviour? I was sure i had a note somewhere about it but darned if i can't find it now.

Any help greatly appreciated.

4. finnmaccool macrumors newbie

Just went through this myself; turns out that mount in Mavericks now requires the mountpoint exist as a directory before the auto_smb mounts will work (previously it created the mountpoint directories if needed).

I've got a "remount" bash function that I use to remount shares (b/c they seem to disappear now & again).

It used to read:

Code:
    # automounts are accessible only to the user who first accesses them (not mounts them, thankfully)
    # but sometimes they timeout & unmount, and then my user account loses access.  This fixes that.
    remount() {
      sudo umount -f /Volumes/media
      sudo automount -vc # reload from the automounts file
    }
    now it reads:

Code:
    remount() {
      sudo umount -f /Volumes/media
      [ -d /Volumes/media ] || sudo mkdir /Volumes/media
      sudo automount -vc # reload from the automounts file
     }
    and that fixes the problem. Once the directories exist, future reboots should automount correctly as well though I haven't tested it.

5. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

All too complex for people like me (and millions of others). NAS drive arriving tomorrow. Mavericks sharing fail!