Autobrightness, does it work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stanny, Feb 5, 2009.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

Does auto brightness work? I sure don't notice any difference.

2. Jailbird1818 macrumors member

Mine works, go into a bright room and start using your iphone (web, game, etc.). Then place your finger over the sensors next to the earpiece. Give it a few seconds and the screen will brighten up.

-JB

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

no, it does not work.

4. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

5. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Mine works.

I've gone from my kitchen after dinner to my bedroom where there's little light and watched the brightness increase after hitting the Home button and unlocking.

6. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

It works, but it's slow to react, and that varies from phone to phone, as do so many things with our beloved iPhone. But it does work, and it's nice to have. :D

7. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Strange, the brightness should decrease in low light.
    -Bright light, harder to see the screen, brightness increases

-Low light, easier to see the screen, brightness decreases so it doesn't hurt your eyes.

And yes - it does work, after unlocking your phone in the dark you should notice it dim.

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

It really works amazingly for me..

And there are a lot of times that I'm just about to press tap the Settings button but ta da.. its corrected it self magnificently!

9. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

It definitely does, but sometimes (as said above) there's a delay, especially if you have a case or dirt covering the sensors. I periodically have to point it directly at the sun when in a car or walking around outside if it's been in my pocket for a while before it gets brighter, however.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Every time this subject come up we learn that it works for half the people here and not the other half.

The "it works" people are always all "your using it wrong" but trust me, it just doesn't work on some phones. I can set my phone and my cousin's to the exact same setting and carry them all over the house and my screen does the opposite of what his does. And I know it's not just me since I've heard the same thing from other people.

It just doesn't work on certain phones.

11. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Maybe it's supposed to dim when it's darker, but it was too dim and did brighten so it was easier to see in the dark.

12. macdim macrumors 6502

The screen should definitely not brighten in the dark... that makes no sense. When I'm in a bright place, the screen brightens.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

A few things.

1. It's supposed to get dim in the dark and bright in the light
    2. Be careful of reflections. Sometimes the light from the lock screen will shine on your white shirt and the screen won't dim in the dark.
    3. Auto-brightness is really flaky, but most of the time it's better than manually constantly adjusting the brightness.

I found my own "sweet spot" (preference may vary depending on the person) and I tend to keep it there. If it doesn't auto-dim or auto-brighten, I just press the lock button and unlock it again for it to read the light again.

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah right :rolleyes:

Just kidding of course!

15. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

It don't get easier to see if it is really dark, it just makes a painful contrast on your wide open pupils.

Maybe if you went from pitch black to dim, it would get slightly brighter. Either that or it read the light wrong.

16. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

17. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

According to David Pogue, the phone samples the ambient light when you wake it up and adjusts accordingly. I don't think it changes after that.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It does, you just have to wait. They probably made the sensor come on less frequently to save battery power.

Edit: I wonder what is better for the battery. Having a constant 50% brightness or having Auto-brightness on. Hmmm. I'm thinking I should turn auto-brightness off and I won't have these problems anymore.

19. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Yep.... sounds about perfectly true!

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Nope, it WILL change without re-locking and unlocking your phone, just wait a bit and you'll see. Walk out of a dark room and walk around for a little while without turning your phone off... you'll see it get bright again. I wish it was quicker though, but this is probably to save battery.

21. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Mines seems to work pretty flaky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My Sony Ericsson phone also had an ambient light sensor and it worked perfectly 100% of the time. And best of all, it reacted instantly.