Autobrightness on iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by abz1981, Oct 7, 2013.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hey all

Those who have an iPhone 5. Would you say Autobrightness needs to be reconfigured some how. As I feel it may be contributing to a battery drain on my iPhone 5. Also who prefers to have Autobrightness on and off and reasons why?

2. deep1 macrumors regular

Switched it off myself last week, i wouldn't say big improvement but battery life is much better with auto off.
    Doesn't make much diff now anyway with control center, easy to up it if needed.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I keep mine off, mostly because the heuristics used to determine brightness never really worked for me. The display would be too dim when I wanted it brighter and vice versa. I set mine manually as I need too

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It was too bright for me at first, but it works well now after I recalibrated it.

Go into a very dark room. Go to the brightness setting and set it to your preference, probably just a little above the lowest point.

I like to keep autobrightness on because it turns up the display when I go outside. I find that it is slower to turn it back down when I go to a darker place but it still works.

Battery life has not been a problem for me.

5. liteshow macrumors regular

I keep mine on, but like most users have discovered, it needs to be properly calibrated to work well. Does not seem to affect battery drain on my 4s.

6. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey all
    Thanks for your replies and inputs. I think I will try and calibrate it and see how it goes for me then. :)

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The biggest problem with autobrightness is, whenever I'm in a room with overhead spotlights, even if they are not that bright, the brightness always goes to 100%. At that point, I have to turn down the brightness manually, and it "learns" this new setting, so the next time I'm in an ACTUAL bright room, the screen is too dim.

Repeat ad-infinatum.

I feel like turning off auto bright but it still more or less works for other conditions so it's a bit of a wash.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I've had mine ON since the feature was available and have had no battery issues.

9. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

Mine had issues with 6.0.1 but was eventually solved with another software update. However, 7.0.3 seems to bring the problem back. When the phone hits full brightness, it will not come back down without manually adjusting it or restarting. :( There's no winning.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I keep it on, but I find it a little bit on the bright side, so sometimes I manually adjust brightness from control center.