Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xplode35

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
How long is it expected to take for Autodesk to come out with service packs? I'm a student and rely heavily on AutoCAD. Screw it I think I'll just upgrade and run parallels or bootcamp or something if I can't get 2013 to work. I'll be able to run Revit too if I do that, since Autodesk won't come out with Revit for Mac.

Xplode35

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
Yup, upgraded to ML a little while ago and AutoCAD 2013 seems to be working fine. To test it I just opened it up and drew a line. Nothing graphically intense but does prove that the app is functional. :)

Xplode35

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
Quite possibly. I just bought my Macbook Pro in June right after WWDC. It's my first Mac and I use AutoCAD for school, so I won't fully know how its working until the fall.

Hardtimes

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I manage AutoCAD for a multinational engineering consultancy and we are absolutely sick of paying so badly made software.

There are strong rumblings of moving over to an alternative very soon and forking out for re-training.

Having used the MAC version of AutoCAD away from work I was shocked at how much either did not work or was missing.

AutoDesk is a sinking ship and most technical personal know it.

Xplode35

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
If you're on Windows and are going to go through training for a completely new program, I suggest you move to Revit. Theirs a bigger learning curve compared to Revit but the capabilities of Revit by far surpass those of AutoCAD.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
I manage AutoCAD for a multinational engineering consultancy and we are absolutely sick of paying so badly made software.

There are strong rumblings of moving over to an alternative very soon and forking out for re-training.

Having used the MAC version of AutoCAD away from work I was shocked at how much either did not work or was missing.

AutoDesk is a sinking ship and most technical personal know it.

Agree 100% with everything. No version of AutoCAD has worked properly with my Mac mini (2.5 15 with 8 GB and AMD 256 GDDR5) since they re-released it on Mac OS! 2013 is definitely better than 2011 and 2012, but it still has major issues. AND Autodesk's customer support s*cks.

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
Mac OS! 2013 is definitely better than 2011 and 2012, but it still has major issues. AND Autodesk's customer support s*cks.

I concur.

I want to believe that Autodesk is making a Revit version for Mac but probably wont be available for another couple years atleast.

They need to get AutoCAD for Mac up to par with the windows version first I would think.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
I concur.

I want to believe that Autodesk is making a Revit version for Mac but probably wont be available for another couple years atleast.

They need to get AutoCAD for Mac up to par with the windows version first I would think.

And when they do release it, it'll be plagued with problems, if AutoCAD is any indication.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I concur, I have the 64 bit windows version of '12 LT and it is buggy on my machine. Auto Desk support totally sucks!

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Isn't that Autodesk's fault?
Actually it's the original poster's fault.

I don't know about you. But I use my computer to run application software, the operating system is there to make sure the applications cooperate in use of the hardware resources.

So I would make the decision on whether to upgrade or not based on whether the programs I want to run are compatible with it or not first, and if there is any benefit to upgrading. Not upgrade just for the sake of upgrading like granlaras and then complain when I suddenly can't get any work done. :rolleyes:

This is DOUBLY true when we're talking about a work machine. It's not like computers running Lion or Snow Leopard suddenly stop working once Snow Lion comes out.

echols85

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Working here

FWIW, ACAD 2013 for Mac is working fine for me under Mountain Lion. No disappearing cursor or PDF issues as the support article suggests. I can't advocate upgrading without official word from Autodesk, particularly on production machines, but hopefully, given my positive experience thus far, it won't take too long for them to push out and update.

Tinder IT

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Glasgow, UK
It's the hardware updates

With Apple withdrawing SL and Lion when Mountain Lion was released it has created a real issue if you want to change hardware.

All the new hardware won't go back to SL so until AutoCAD is fully compatible you'd be wise to hold on to the kit you have

trevorde

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Backward Compatibility

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Autodesk has issued a support document outlining which of its products do not work with the just-released OS X Mountain Lion:
Autodesk also says that a Beta program adding support for Mountain Lion to AutoCAD 2012 and 2013 will be coming shortly, though doesn't include any specifics about a timeline.

As always, it is recommended that those using their computers in a professional, production environment should hold off on any upgrades to either software or operating systems until the makers of all the products they use confirm that everything works as it should.

Article Link: AutoCAD 2012 and 2013 Do Not Yet Work With Mountain Lion

Why are people blaming Autodesk when it is Apple who have changed the underlying OS? When Apple breaks backward compatibility, they call it 'progress'. You can do that if you are happy to stick with a 10% market share.

I am a Windows developer and the backward compatibility in Windows allows me to concentrate on adding new features rather than fixing OS regressions.

shineon

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2004
So far no issues here.

Hello I am not sure how I did it but I have not had any issues so far and I installed it on a clean install of mountain lion maybe that is why everyone is having so many issues because of upgrading instead of doing a fresh install of mountain lion.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Why are people blaming Autodesk when it is Apple who have changed the underlying OS? When Apple breaks backward compatibility, they call it 'progress'. You can do that if you are happy to stick with a 10% market share.

I am a Windows developer and the backward compatibility in Windows allows me to concentrate on adding new features rather than fixing OS regressions.

because most of us are so fed up with years of using glitchy autodesk software we need to lash out.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

That backwards compatibility has caused more security problems in Windows than anything else.

AutoDesk have had sufficient time to obtain the Developer Previews, and implement the small changes required to ensure their products work. Most other software developers have done this. They should've at least got AutoCAD 2013 ready.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
This. Its sad what software Autodesk has ruined.

I remember when Maya was awesome, now it still has bugs from versions as far back as 2010, virtually no new stuff is added, and it costs an arm and a leg...

...Then there are companies like Pixologic who charge a small amount for ZBrush, continuously give free updates to everyone (including the people who bought the program 12 years ago) and add a ton of new useful features each release.

*sigh*

Can anyone please confirm whether or not Maya works with ML?? (any recent version, especially 2013)

----------

Hello I am not sure how I did it but I have not had any issues so far and I installed it on a clean install of mountain lion maybe that is why everyone is having so many issues because of upgrading instead of doing a fresh install of mountain lion.

Anyone else try this? If this works and continues to be stable it'd at least be something ...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Can anyone please confirm whether or not Maya works with ML?? (any recent version, especially 2013)

----------

Anyone else try this? If this works and continues to be stable it'd at least be something ...

Maya 2012 *appears* to work just fine. Not sure about 2013 but its safe to assume it probably does too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.