AutoCAD + MacBook: experience?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheMechanic, Aug 21, 2007.

1. TheMechanic macrumors regular

Hello all!

Does anybody of you have experience with AutoCAD on a MacBook? Especially when an external Display is connected?
    I’m thinking of getting a maxed out white MacBook and a second display (preferably 1920x1200) as my main machine. I’m going to use it for web surfing, iTunes, word processing etc. but I want it also to be able to run AutoCAD occasionally (I’m mechanical engineering student).
    I know that a MBP would be way better for this but I like the idea of having the MB’s portability as well as a HD display.
    I also know that there is no AutoCAD for Mac. Do you run it under BootCamp or Parallels/VMware or just on a PC?

Thanks!
    :)

2. maccad macrumors newbie

Depends what version of AutoCAD you are using and how intensive you plan to use it.

If you are planning to do basic 2D drafting, then VMWare or Parallels should get the job done.

Otherwise, for more intense 2D drafting and 3D drafting, go with Boot Camp.

3. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

4. TheMechanic thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input.

But does nobody here have any experience with a MB running AutoCAD while a external display is conected?
    I'm afraid that this would be to much for the MB's graphics chip...

5. maccad macrumors newbie

Using AutoCAD on a PC with an intel integrated graphics card is not recommended. I would imagine the same would go with the macbook.