AutoCad on a OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wildthing1994, Apr 26, 2007.

1. wildthing1994 macrumors member

wildthing1994

The question is, what are you running on your mac that is comparable to autocad for windows?

2. snakesqzns macrumors regular

snakesqzns

I've seen Turbocad in the stores. I don't know how it is.

I'd like to see SolidWorks for the Mac. And I'd like to see it priced at about $15.

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

My girlfriend has to run parallels and autocad 2004 (I think) through that. There is nothing as good as AutoCAD (especially if you're used to it) on OSX. They used to make it for Mac but not any more...

I have no idea why, but it's frustrating for many Architects.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that depends on what you're using it for and what features of the program you're using.

as koobcamuk says, you can run Autocad under Parallels on an intel mac. You can also run it using Bootcamp.

Or you can use one of the cad programs that run on OS X......depending on your needs; ArchiCAD and Vectorworks are two that are particularly useful for architects.

for others, do a search at apple.com > "made4mac" > "2D/3D graphics & animation"> "CAD"; CAD search

5. wildthing1994 thread starter macrumors member

wildthing1994

What sucks about this is that I have a autocad class next term and I didn't want to run xp on a mac, if I dont need to, plus I lost my Xp cd-rom.

6. Slumbercub macrumors regular

I have quite an interest in CAD as it is a major part of my business, I am a self employed structural engineer. I use Vectorworks which is superior to Autocad in every way but I also use High Design.

7. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

I use VectorWorks... works a dream on my MacBook, version 12.5 is native to intels.. it's better than autocad I've heard... whenever I've tried to work on AutoCad I think how complicated it is to use. Vectorworks is great in my opinion.

8. wildthing1994 thread starter macrumors member

wildthing1994

Exactly, what do you use it for?