autocad on mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gelindo, Oct 24, 2009.

1. gelindo macrumors newbie

hi
    will the macbook pro 2,66ghz with the gpu 9600gt 251mb run autocad well or not ?

thx

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It will if you run it in windows. Currently (and probably never) AutoCAD doesn't run on a Mac unless you've installed Windows.

3. rodo macrumors newbie

yup autocad runs smoothly on bootcamp... and if you dont abuse on renders, it can well run under VmWare/Parallels/VirtualBox(free)

4. gelindo thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the relpy's . so the graphics card is capable to run it smoothly, i dont need the better graphics card in the top model ?

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

there was a recent poll on the autodesk website about whether to release a mac version, so it may be in development, but currently, it is only available on windows and therefore in bootcamp. the graphics card you have will be fine

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's been in discussion for the past 5 years or so.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

8. rodo macrumors newbie

what exactly stops you from running autocad on bootcamp? It's even better because you can have a windows-autocad partition without anything, even without internet, and tuned for autocad.

or is it because "windows hangs"? xD

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's because Windows is not optimized for running on Macs, and some people use software suites that are expensive and have the Mac version installed already. It would be very nice to have AutoCAD for OS X, but it's probably not going to happen.

10. rodo macrumors newbie

Hey that is true, but it doesn't run that bad. And you can optimize it yourself googling a little, At the moment I think there are only a couple problems with the trackpad driver, but if you use AutoCad chances are you are using a professional tablet or expensive mouse... and these will work like a charm...

So... if you wanna play with AutoCad I'm sure you can be very productive with a Mac.