Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Autodesk, creator of the industry standard design and drafting software AutoCAD, is apparently contemplating the return of a version of AutoCAD running natively on Macs. In a recent blog article, Autodesk "Platform Technology Evangelist" Shaan Hurley points readers to a survey allowing them to "help shape the future of the next generation of AutoCAD products for the Apple Mac OS X Operating System and hardware."

The survey asks users a series of questions related to their use of Autodesk software, their use of Macs in the workplace, and their level of interest in an OS X version of AutoCAD. The survey also asks several questions about whether such features as command line interface and 3D modeling/editing are considered critical to a "first" version of AutoCAD for OS X, and specifically whether a product along the lines of Autodesk's more limited AutoCAD LT rather than a full version of AutoCAD would be sufficient for Mac users.

Autodesk's last Mac version of AutoCAD was released in 1992, although current Intel Mac users can run the latest Windows version of AutoCAD unsupported using Boot Camp or virtualization software such as Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion.

Article Link: AutoCAD Returning to Mac?

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
As an architect I'm very excited about this, but this has been a rumor for a very, very long time now. Though now that Macs have made more inroads into architecture offices, I can see how they'd want to sell a native version.

I've tried using other programs like ArchiCAD for Mac, but nothing seems quite as good as AutoCAD.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
I am a semi-old fart and remember when Autocad first came to the PC. I believe it was available on the Mac before the PC.

Anyway, when it was released people were like "NOW the IBM PC is a 'real' business/design tool. It has arrived".

Anyone using a Mac knows it is a real business/design tool without Autocad. That being said, it would, I think, bring some additional credibility to the Mac-especially to those sitting on the fence and considering switching to OS-X.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Good. But what about Unigraphics, Pro Engineer, Catia, and Solidworks? Macs won't be able to make a serious move back into engineering offices until at least most of those are available.
In fact, last I read about it, Apple uses Unigraphics to do their mechanical design work, which means that all Apples are probably designed using Windows. Sad that Apple hasn't done more to lure the CAD industry.

rIver89

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
I am so happy that they are returning to the mac. For us civil engineering students with macs, this is just so exciting.

LeoFio

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
New York
This would be awesome, as long as they don't cripple the mac version or make it a completely different interface than the windows version. If this turns out to be true, all I need is a 3D structural analysis/design program like Risa-3D for the mac, and I would never need windows again!

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
I wish they would port CoCreate's Modeling. That program is so much easier to use than Solidworks.

McShizzel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Hopefully this sees the light of day, I wish Autodesk would bring more of its software over to Mac OS.

I'm still hoping Autodesk Softimage (previously XSI) comes to Mac OS even though it probably won't happen anytime soon if ever.

One can always dream.

sadarryl

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
autoCAD=dead technology

The only real innovation would be Revit for Mac...autoCAD, despite its so-called 3D features, is quickly becoming obsolete.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Wouldn't get your hopes up. I believe they ran a similar survey a few years back, to no results.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/37895/

Plus, AutoCAD is becoming a legacy CAD app. By the time AutoCAD actually becomes a shipping product for OS X (which will take a few years), Revit will have become the standard CAD app in most studios.

It'd be better if they bring Revit and 3ds Max to OS X. But I'm not getting my hopes on that either. These apps are just too massive and complex to make it worth the effort and $$$. Especially now with BootCamp and Fusion/Parallels, there's not a huge reason to port them.

On Revit on OS X possibilities...

http://cadinsider.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/12/aec-round-table-w-jay-bhatt-and-jim-lynch.html

Edit: sadarryl beat me to it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.