AutoCAD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mizelly41, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mizelly41 macrumors regular

mizelly41

I am just curious if anyone has used AutoCAD on Windows that was installed on a Mac either by Bootcamp, Paralles, or VMFusion? If so, let me know how well it runs.
    Thanks

2. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

You'll want to install it in Bootcamp for full 3D acceleration. It will run as well as it would on any other PC with the same specs.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

hi,

I use autocad in VM Fusion, it works fine. However I do not need the use of 3D aspects of Autocad. For 2D with 4GB of my macbook can handle it.

4. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I use the 64 bit version of AutoCAD in Boot Camp just fine. I've not tried it in Parallels as I believe the resources allocated to Vista would slow it down too much.

5. mizelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

mizelly41

Thanks for the replies.

To give you a little more info, I have Parallels, 2GB of ram and would not be using 2D.

6. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If you're doing stuff with 3D, then bootcamp would work better, since the video card isn't emulated and 3D applications aren't penalized by such emulation (and it's a big performance penalty). Of course, you're the one who will need to be judge of that.