Autocorrect Annoyances/Am I Being Dense?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iNeko, May 25, 2010.

1. iNeko macrumors regular

I've had my iPad for about 3 weeks now and there's one little annoyance I have with it. I have my keyboard/language/etc set to English United Kingdom, but the autocorrect will still insist on the American spelling (for example "Realize") then it'll underline it as a spelling error without a correction suggestion :rolleyes:

It also likes to autocorrect "ive" to "vie" and not "I've" but that's down to me being lazy! ;) Any other Brits noticed weird goings on with the autocorrect on the iPad, or have I missed a setting somewhere?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This is not only a complain with the iPad, but since iPhone 1.0. Auto correct can be a hit or miss.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

When you power up a Mac, you get to pick a language. When you power up an iPad, it looks for a "mothership" to learn from. I would think connecting it to iTunes on a computer localized for UK would automatically switch to the proper spell checker. I would think a call to Apple is in order. They are motivated to make this work for you as it is the beginning of the international launch and they want to quickly help users have a smooth experience. Furthermore, perhaps there are some assumptions Apple made that need to be rethought. If it turns out they made a mistake in their UK localization and spell check settings, calling now increases the likelihood they could get it to you by OS 4.0.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Auto Correct irritated me, too, until I disabled it. Now it doesn't blather me.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Not bristish here, but having some funky ones.

Like, when i just typed her - it wanted to change it to Hee. Which is a last name in my address book.

I'm having basic words get changed to just strange things the last few days.... I wish you could set a chart up.

I've is working sometimes for me......

Oh well, it is making me proofread a bit better for now.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple will be adding Dictionary to the Autocorrection with iPhone OS 4 update this summer, which means that now you can add specific names or phrases to your phone that it will later recognize as correct words. this update (i'm assuming) will come to the iPad later this summer as well.

[​IMG]

7. awmazz macrumors 65816

This is because -ize is the correct English spelling of it. It's the Oxford spelling, based on the Greek roots of the words. You can look it up in the Oxford English Dictionary.

-ise is less 'correct' but acceptable though as the Cambridge spelling, which is based on the French spelling because these Greek words came into the English language via the French.

The American dude Webster went with the Oxford spelling for his dictionary.

8. KevKaos macrumors 6502

That there is funny.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lol... obviously auto correct missed that one ;)

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Oh too funny!

How the heck did i mange to type that? :p

I'm getting irritated with the correct odds, being changed when spelled correctly.

Like right heeded.

OMG, see?

I typed "words" and "there". How the heck can it think i wanted odds and heeded?????

11. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Plus you have the mange. Itchy?