Autocorrect issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dpt123, Oct 18, 2016.

1. dpt123 macrumors newbie

(note - this is a cross post of a thread I started on Apple's support forum. I'm reposting here because it seems like that forum is more for support than starting a discussion...)

Like many (most?) (all?) of you, I have a lot of frustrations with the autocorrect feature on my iphone. It is barely useful enough that I don't turn it off, but it frustratingly makes tons of errors, and it seems like it could just be so much better. I'm posting this somewhat just to vent, but also am wondering if anyone knows if Apple has any plans to improve it, and/or why it hasn't been made better already. Some examples:

* I sometimes miss keys on the top row when typing. Why isn't smart enough to recognize that a touch barely above a key was an intended touch of that key? Why else would I be tapping, for example, just above the "E" key when I type "T" "H" <tap> "I" "R". Obviously, I meant to type "their". Instead, it leaves it as "thir". What does "thir" mean?

* I often hit the "R" key instead of the "T" key when typing "at". So instead, it sees "ar". It autocorrects this to "AR" (all caps). What is "AR" anyway?

* I am a good speller, so don't want it trying to correct my spelling. I figured if I turned off spelling corrections, it could more accurately guess what I meant to type. But it still makes mistakes and changes the number of letters in a word. So I might type a 5 letter word with a typo, and the replacement it guesses is a 4 letter word. I would not have tapped the screen 5 times if I meant to type a 4 letter word.

* It rarely if ever sees a mistakenly hit punctuation key as a letter. So, on the ipad keyboard that has the comma and period keys adjacent to the m, k, and l keys, a mistaken hit of the comma key, for example, is never recognized as the "m" key I meant to hit.

These are just a few examples, I'm sure everyone here could come up with tons more. I am a software developer, and have a sense of how this could/should work. It is pretty clever a lot of the time. I just don't get why simple issues like those above couldn't be fixed.

Thanks for listening!

- Dave

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

My typing skill went up 500% when I moved to the plus size iPhones.

As far as the spelling correction software, it is not perfect but I would never turn it off. It does way more good for me than bad. It has even "learned" from my typing and does not correct things that I use often.

3. dpt123 thread starter macrumors newbie

People sometimes use the word "typo" to include misspellings. What I wish autocorrect would do would be to just fix actual typos - when you mistakenly tap a key near the one you meant to tap. If it limited its corrections to words that it found only by looking at words with letters adjacent on the keyboard to the letters typed, and words with a number of letters that matched the count of times the screen was tapped, it could be so much more accurate!

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you tried resetting keyboard dictionary to see if that might help with some of those things?

5. itsray macrumors 6502

Where did you come up with 500%? Got any data to back that up?

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

LOL! No data but my typo and spelling problems were GREATLY decreased with the larger keyboard of the 6S+ and 7+.

My experience and yours will vary. No tint screen for me!