Autocorrect!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bullshark, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Bullshark macrumors member

Any way to edit the autocorrect dictionary? Everytime I type "me" it autocorrects to "mr". Extremely frustrating. I even restored my phone hoping to correct the issue, it didnt.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Normally when you backspace it out and correct it manually it will learn the word. :)

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

First of all, the next time you feel like restoring your phone for that reason, I'd suggest simply resetting the dictionary.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary

Much easier.

But it sounds like your specific problem is part of the default dictionary, so that won't help. Just keep typing Me and hit the 'x' to cancel the "Mr" suggestion. It will learn with time and eventually will stop suggesting it.

Be sure to 'x' out of it. If you let it autocorrect and THEN go back and fix it the phone won't learn because it thinks you accepted the correction.

4. Bullshark thread starter macrumors member

Thats not the ONLY reason I restored, but damn that would have been helpful. I didn't realize that was an option.. Thanks.

Ill try x'ing it out. I tried typing it and then correcting it 50-100 times but it makes sense i would have to x it out each time. Thanks for the tip..

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ha ha...ok, good. That makes me feel better!

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Hopefully correcting it and xing out will fix it, but the reason you're getting mr is because you used Mr. in a contact possibly.

7. likejy macrumors newbie

likejy

I hate these features too.
    Plz don't bother me. :mad:

8. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Backspace and type it in THREE times, and it learns the word, extremely frustrating. I clear out my auto correct dictionary about once a month, because it "learns" many word wrong. (I have bad spelling and typing in general, I find the default dictionary corrects more mistakes, than using the dictionary it learns from me.

I have the mr. me issue a lot too.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Here's the problem:

You have someone in your address book named Mr. Something. The auto-correct will pick up on names from your address book and when it sees "me" it thinks you mean "mr" from your address book.

Delete Mr. in your address book/contacts and put in his real first name.

Hope this helps.

10. Bullshark thread starter macrumors member

Wow.. It was the "Mr" in the adress book. I had my girls father in there as Mr Snyder. Took it out and it worked immediately. That would also explain why the restore didn't fix it. As soon as I sync'ed with address book, it put the "Mr" back in.

Thanks again folks. If I only I asked a few months ago it. That would have saved me months of frustration.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hey, I guess even I can be helpful sometimes ;)

The only reason I knew what was happening is because my girlfriend went through the same frustration.

12. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

So the worlds smartest smartphone cant have any mr. contacts lol..... too funny. Looks like i need to search through all my contacts now.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Or you looked at my previous post, which already said that. :D

This has never worked for me. I have a user name that only has 4 characters in a site I go to, and it consistently wants to correct to a real word.

14. Bullshark thread starter macrumors member

This was the trick when using T9 on "dumb" phones. Doesnt work with the smart phones, or at least doesnt with iPhone.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The other trick that doesn't work for me is to click on the x a number of times and it's supposed to stop giving you the suggested change.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm sorry dude. I only quickly scanned the thread and overlooked your tip. You should get the credit then.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You realize I was joking, right? Unless we get paid for these tips and then I'm not. :)

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I figured you were joking but, I still should have read your post better cause then I wouldn't have re-posted it.