Autodesk Alias on MacBook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saledug, Mar 25, 2015.

1. saledug macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm currently waiting for the new MacBook Pro 15" to come out and wanted to ask if someone is using Autodesk Alias on their (current Generation) MacBook Pro 15" on a professional Basis and can say something about the Performance on the machines without the dedicated GPU? I'm studying Transportation Design and can't afford a 2800€ machine at the Moment... Thank you in advance.

regards

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...rements-for-Autodesk-Alias-2016-products.html

I don't personally work with that product (and likely never will) but as with any CAD software, you're likely to run into stuttering or rendering issues if you don't meet the minimum system requirement, which you apparently wouldn't with the base 15".

3. sarthak macrumors 6502

I would not risk it without the dGPU, the limited amount of (128MB eDRAM) provided would be insufficient on its own and any pro apps you load would end up chewing up your system RAM quickly.

The Iris Pro is no slouch but, Alias may not be fully optimized let alone, even allowed to run on non-AMD/NVIDIA hardware.

Consider getting a refurbished 2012 rMBP or Early 2013 which has a GT 650M and is probably the best value given the 750M is not much of a performance gain over it.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Knowing how the Iris Pro is limited by its 128MB eDRAM cache, you'll be far safer with the model with the 750M.