Autofill username

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by High Desert, Jun 30, 2016.

1. High Desert, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016

High Desert macrumors regular

When I first got my mbp last year, being new to it, I apparently filled in a wrong username. Now, occasionally, it will "pop" up when I am accessing something new that requires a username / pw. I have been trying to find it so as to delete the annoyance. I have looked through keychain, but don't see it, or other usernames for web access sites. Am I looking in the right place, or is this buried somewhere else? Not a big deal, just annoying, over time.
    BTW - I did go into Safari - Preferences - Autofill, and the username was not there. Just mysteriously pops up now and then.

2. High Desert thread starter macrumors regular

Well, don't feel so bad now....156 people, some a lot smarter than me, have viewed this and no-one has any idea how to approach. Guess I'll live with this popping up every once in a while when I go to set up a new username on a site. Thanks for looking...

3. MC6800 macrumors 6502

I believe Safari uses the name in your Contacts card if you've left that Safari Autofill setting at the default. Click the "Edit..." button there to go to that Contacts card where you can edit your name. If it's the wrong card, select another one in System Preferences>Users & Groups>Current User>Contacts Card.

4. High Desert thread starter macrumors regular

MC6800 - thx for the response. Unfortunately, none of those worked as both accesses showed the correct contact card info username. This is really weird in that somewhere, this is buried out of sight and only infrequently appears under autofill. Guess I'll keep poking at it and it will probably end up being something so simple I'll feel really dumb ): Thanks for the help.

5. jerryk macrumors 68020

Are use describing the confirmation boxes that come up when you are installing software or doing something else that requires admin privileges? If so you need to create a new account, with admin privileges, and deal with moving files, etc.

6. High Desert thread starter macrumors regular

jerry - no, what I am describing is a situation such as: setting up a new account for a forum, asked for username, start to fill in and autofill puts in an erroneous name (when I first got mbp, and setting up an account, typed wrong name and now that one occasionally reappears). I have gone trough keychain, contacts, autofill searches, and the bad name does not appear anywhere, so I am at a loss to figure out where it is residing. Mystery to me.

7. yukari macrumors regular

You can simply clear all browsing data and restart.
    Usually, when you change a username, Safari asks whether you want to update the fill-in data.
    I am away from my computer so I can't be sure where your info are stored for Safari.

8. yukari macrumors regular

Under "Preference" --> "AutoFill" --> "User names and password" click "edit".
    You can see and edit all the websites with autofill ID and password.

9. High Desert thread starter macrumors regular

Tried all the suggestions, NADA......Guess I am going to have to live with this until I get to a "Genius" bar and ask the question. Last time, I sort of got the deer in the headlights look. I'll just take the laptop and see what happens. Not a big deal, just a bit frustrating as it happened again this morning. Thanks to all for the suggestions. All the right places, but it was not there.

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

11. High Desert thread starter macrumors regular

Now, there's an idea, Simon. Never considered "cookies" as a reason.