Autofill

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Siron, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Can anyone tell me where the Autofill database is located? Every time I use Autofill it has my name mispelled and I want to change it. Also is there a keyboard shortcut to Autofill instead of clicking on Edit then Autofill?
    Alan

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Which application are you referring to? That would help me enormously in telling you where autofill information is stored, and how to manipulate it.

3. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

I am using Safari (I thought that this was the only program that used Autofill).
    Thanks
    Alan

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The autofill database Safari uses isn't a unified file, but rather a collection of files. It pulls from your history, bookmarks, address book, and saved usernames/passwords. You can edit these things in the appropriate preference pane, and if you need to correct your Address Book entry for your own name, open Address Book to do that.

5. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

I don't have an address book entry. It wasn't really a misspelling - it was my phone number and it came about because I had entered it incorrectly the first time I used a form and Safari keeps using it every time I use AutoFill. I thought all of these things were kept in Keychain along with passwords etc.
    If I create an Address Book entry will AutoFill use this information?
    Thanks
    Alan

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Umm... you do have one. Everyone does. One is created for yourself when you install Mac OS X for the first time, containing the information you input when you registered your machine with Apple.

That said, yes it will, if you mark said entry as being you.

7. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

Sorry - I was mistaken I do have an entry and the phone number is shown as 111-111-1111. When Autofill puts the number in a field it shows up as 111-1111111. Minor issue but annoying.
    Alan

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It's funny you mention this, I have the exact same issue with my phone number. I think I know what the cause is - when you install Mac OS X for the first time, you enter your phone number in the form 111-1111111. If you want it in the form 111-111-1111, then go into Address Book, select your card, click Edit, make a do-nothing change (add and delete a character from any field), then get out of edit mode by clicking the Edit button again.

I haven't tried this particular fix myself, and I can't as I'm not at my Mac.

9. JHwanger macrumors newbie

Autofill

Hey Siron,

Not sure if you have resolved the problem, had the same problem myself so that is how I stumbled upon your post.

Not sure if this helps or not but if you go to safari -> preferences -> autofill tab, there are three autofill options to choose from.

Like wrldwzrd89 said, make sure your information is correct in your address book and then edit "other form" and just delete everything and start all over.

Like I said, not sure if this will help but the only way I could fix it was just delete all previous autofill entries and start all over.

Hope this helps.

10. Jonobigblind macrumors member

Bloody brilliant - just what I needed. Thanks for the top tips