Autohide Apple function bar (like autohide dock) - is this mod possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac32, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Mac32, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm a bit disappointed by Lion, but one thing that I do like is the fullscreen function. I would love to have this on my MBA 11'' 2010 with Snow Leopard. One way is to have the option to autohide the top Apple-bar (function meny), just like the dock. This would give you more screen real estate, and not haveing to go in and out of fullscreen modus.

Is there someone out there how has made this mod to Snow Leopard? I would love to have this option! :)

Thanks,

2. Rowf macrumors regular

I was looking into this a while ago and found this app: menuanddockless at -

http://myownapp.com/freeware/index.html

I haven't tried it yet and it requires Simbl to make it work.
    The developer that makes it has quite a few apps on MAS so I'm guessing it's o.k.

3. Mac32 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

I tried it, and it works kinda... You have to activate "full screen" with autohide menu and dock inside every program, and there are quite a few programs that this app doesn't support, like Spotify and Office.

Is there a way to have an autohide function to the menu bar as a system wide function - not just inside some supported programs?
    Again, autohide the menu bar, just like the dock.

Thanks!

4. Rowf macrumors regular

Everything I looked at was on a per app basis.
    I did come across some 'hacking' type instructions but it was too advanced for me.
    With the menu bar being an integral part of Finder I'd be a bit careful with it.
    If you do manage to do it and it works well be sure to post it up :)

5. Mac32 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help. :)

Same here btw., it seems Apple has made it very difficult for Apple users to add this mod. I ended up deleting the menuanddock app, not worth it IMO when you have to fiddle with settings in individual programs.