Automated Backup Solution for 2TB data on macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hubiedubie, Jan 12, 2009.

1. hubiedubie macrumors member

I will soon have a macbook pro with an external LaCie 2big Quadra in a RAID 0 configuration (2X 1TB) connected via a 2 port eSata xpress card.

The external drive will contain critical data that I can't afford to lose (sample libraries, audio projects) so I need a backup solution.

I need a solution that provides the following features:

- The firewire bus on the MBP needs to be completely free for exlusive use by my audio interface.
    - I need to backup both the external drive and my system drive on my MacBook Pro.
    - I need to be able to schedule the backup to run automatically during times when I'm not using the laptop (ie in the middle of the night).
    - It must have minimal impact on the performance of my system when I'm using it.
    - The backup must complete in a reasonable amount of time (I doubt it's if it's feasible to back up around 2TB of data with a NAS but I could be completely wrong here).

Does anybody have any recommendations both on the hardware and software side?

As a firewire drive is not an option I would have to connect the backup drive either via USB, the 2nd eSata port or the Ethernet port.

How feasible is it to back up 2TB of data using these methods?

Could incremental backups be done via wireless NAS?

All suggestions welcome.

Hubie

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Wireless would take quite a while. A NAS could work but I would opt to use gigabit ethernet. As for backup software I would use SuperDuper, however I could not say if SuperDuper will do backups to a NAS. You could however use a second Lacie drive and SuperDuper would maintain a duplicate on the second drive.

3. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

If it's data you can't afford to lose, I hope you plan to have some type of offsite backup as well.

4. rhyx macrumors 6502

A MacBook Pro itself isn't really adequate for this. A Mac Pro would open up a whole range of options. Right now you are probably limited to backing it up to a NAS.