Automated daily backup of specific file types

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bmorris, Dec 2, 2015.

1. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

I am trying to automatically backup my project files on a daily basis. The file size is small for the actual file (.fcp, .aep, .prproj, etc). I need a way to automate a scan of my computer for these files, then backed up via WeTransfer or SugarSync or something. The files need to be backed up off site, so Time Capsule/Time Machine wouldn't be ideal. If possible, an automatic upload to our website FTP, would be nice. Any advice?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Your best bet would be to use FreeFileSync. You can set it so that it will backup certain file types. It's not the prettiest GUI but it's open source, and cross-platform between our Windows & Linux friends.

3. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

This is looking good so far. Can it be automated to run daily? And then send the files?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'm not too sure on the specifics I'm afraid. However it's very customisable so it may be worth giving it a test pilot - hopefully it's what you're looking for, and the features you need are in an obvious place.

5. InsideTJ macrumors regular

old thread, but I'm in the same boat. I've used freefilesync for years on windows. It has been very reliable, and the mac version seems to be one-of-a-kind.

I know it's freeware/open source, but the enabling of it in the security settings kinda scares me. I guess the years of a good track record should be good enough comfort for me though.

I'm really surprised there are no quality, paid file sync apps like freefilesync on the app store, though.