Automated graphics switching question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Panzo, May 14, 2010.

1. Panzo macrumors 6502

For the new macbook pro users, when going into fullscreen for a youtube video is it normal for the screen to turn greyish momentarily (1-2 seconds) while the graphics card switches?

Can anyone check and report pleasE? thanks!!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Just out of curiosity, why would the GPU switch when going full screen with a Flash video?

You can use gfxcardstatus to see which GPU is in use. And I have also this gray, sometimes white screen when I switch to full screen with web videos and I don't have any of the current Macs.

3. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

It does switch graphics card when going into full screen youtube video its been confirmed with the gfxstatus tool. (i have it running)

Anyone care to contribute?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, okay, good to know. But why does it switch (still curious)?

5. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

6. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

I don't know why, but it is really annoying, when you fullscreen a youtube video and I see a growl msg from Cody's app, telling me my 330M has been turned on. And then see it go Intel when I hit 'esc'.

There are a couple of other random times where the gfx switching does unnecessary things, like looking through BowTie themes, will turn the Discrete chip on, and even if you leave that menu, it stays on. Same thing happens when I open a random Illustrator file, even though I have 2 or 3 open, with the Intel chip, but the 330M is turned on. And when I close that one file, with those same original 2 or 3 open, it stays on, unnecessarily.

But for the most part its alright.

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Have you noticed that the 330m is always engaged when connected to power?, so if you're connected automatic switching goes on an the nVidia stays on...

8. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

I have never had this happen to me, where just by plugging in I get the nvidia chip turned on. Although I know some people have wanted that, but that can be done by forcing the gfx cards.

9. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

So only one other person noticed this? no one else?

10. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

I have another strange issue, my firefox doesnt always play maximized Youtube videos, the screen just turns blank.

If I try it in Safari no problem, even when I manually switch to N on firefox it doesnt want to work for video in fullscreen, I do hear the audio. Anyone else having this problem ? If I reboot it is over and it works again for a while, I think there is still a glitch when you manually switch to N and i.

11. wandrer2 macrumors member

Yes, something like that happens here. Might simply be the way Firefox implemented this. I also seem to see a very brief flash when already on the 330m.

12. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

Glad I am not the only one, hope Apple will come out with some updates for this. It is not that annoying but just annoying :).

Luckily rebooting only is a matter of seconds before Firefox just works again.

13. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

I used to have the grey screen problem too, its not Apples fault and its not the graphics card switching. Its actually caused by Flash Player 10.0 (which on Mac uses the CPU for all the processing and doesnt use the GPU at all)

To fix it, install the Flash Player 10.1 beta (the mac one is called Gala) here http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/gala/

It is very stable (for me at least) and it is the first version of Flash Player for Mac that utilises the GPU, making it much less of a system resources hog. It also eliminates the grey screen problem.

Happy Flashing :)

14. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

does this use the h.264 acceleration? that apple let Adobe use in flash?

15. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

now my MBP is always switched to the nVidia 330, never switching to intel, all day, no matter wich app I'm using, or if I'm running connected to AC or battery, anyone noticed the same?

16. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

yeh :)