Automated placing of barcodes in indesign

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Wippet, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Wippet macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've got a big job coming in the next few weeks which consists of 6000 panels each with 12 barcodes on them, 72,000 barcodes in total!. I've got a program that will generate the barcodes for me the problem is placing them. Anyone got any ideas on the best way to do this?

Thanks

2. MDARFUS macrumors newbie

72,000 barcodes... this sounds like a job for variable data programming, using an auxiliary plugin/program, a database and some Java scripting. I use a program called FusionPro to accomplish such a task, but that would require you to work outside of InDesign for the actual placement of the barcodes. I'm sure one of the other design Gurus on this forum will come up with something that is contained within InDesign. Best of luck to you... that project sounds like quite a task!

3. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I'd also use FusionPro if I were doing this - there may be a way to use the Data merge function built into InDesign, but I'm not intimately familiar with it.

4. efxgraphx macrumors member

Might give a shot at Teacup. The specific program is datalinker plugin for InDesign. I use this for a lot of data input from excel. They also make a Barcode plugin for InDesign but have never used it.

http://www.teacupsoftware.com/

The guys are really nice and respond fairly fast if you have any questions.

Hope this help!