Automatic 2g/3g switching

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kisbys, Mar 21, 2011.

1. kisbys macrumors regular

Can anybody tell me out there why there is no option on any smartphone to automatically switch between 2g and 3g. It would be a great battery saving addition so the phone only went into 3g for applications that need 3g like browser and maps.

I know it would make getting into browser slightly slower while the phone switches but surely the improvement in battery life would be amazing and it could be an option.

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

the constant switching and resulting ~30 seconds to reestablish itself on the network would drive me nuts. just manually switch it from 3G to 2G and measure the time it takes to reestablish a 2G connection, then back to a 3G connection and then imagine that pause every time you opened the browser or an app.

3. kisbys thread starter macrumors regular

I agree but for weekends away or when the battery was running low I would love it.

I know it takes its time im not proposing that you should use it all the time but just when you need to maximise battery... and 3g on/off is miles down in the menu system.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

How is this at all more practical than just turning off 3G? It would drive me up the the wall if my phone functioned like this, especially since most Internet/map queeries are done in just a few seconds. if I wanted to do what you're describing I never would have upgraded to 3G, I'd just use 2g and wifi.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

3 taps to get there, people are getting too lazy for their own good these days. Do you complain about the 10 feet it takes you to walk to the bathroom?