Automatic app downloads not downloading, just "waiting"

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sflomenb, Dec 4, 2014.

1. sflomenb, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I have the setting enabled that if I purchase an app on one device it downloads on my others. Every time I download an app, it just says waiting and never actually proceeds to download. Instead, I have to stop the download and start it again. Is there anything I can do to make this work correctly?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Go to the appstore app and check the updates section. Sometimes there a is progress bar there but not in the icon itself. Kind of annoying.

3. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

The way that I've remedied hanging app updates entails deleting the app and then reloading it. Unfortunately, that won't work if you have data tied to the app that you'd like to keep. Otherwise, you'll just have to keep trying. Alternatively, you could use iTunes and download the updates onto your computer first, and then locally sync the updated apps onto your phone (provided that you have an iTunes backup first).

Botched downloads make up a big chunk of what can pile up in the "Other" directory, and you cannot get rid of it unless you restore your device as new (and then restore your apps and data from a backup). So, if the download keeps hanging, you might end up with a lot of garbage data taking up space on your device. This is also why I have automatic updates disabled.