Automatic app downloads

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Cubsfan16, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Cubsfan16 macrumors member

I've noticed that my apps are not downloading automatically ever since I got my 6 plus. I have to go to the app store and click on updates and then they appear and then will download automatically. They downloaded automatically on my 5s. It is turned on in app store settings and I've tried turning it off and back on with no luck. Any ideas? My software updates haven't downloaded automatically on this phone either. What could the problem be?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Have you looked inside Settings->iTunes&AppStore under the AutomaticDownloads section? Is "Apps" turned on?

3. pmcjr macrumors member

I have this problem with app updates also. The problem existed previously on my 4S and now my 5S with ios 8.1. In Settings>iTunes & App Store>(Automatic Downloads)Updates> is toggled ON. I also have to go to the App Store and tap on updates to see if any updates are available before they download automatically. I do not have to manually update the available apps after I have checked and seen there are available app updates. Also, the Badge App Icon does not show the number of updates until after I have checked for updates. It is turned ON in Notifications. This all happens after I have checked for app updates in iTunes and updated them there. How quickly should the iPhone identify available app updates....is there a significant time lag before automatic updates works on its own?
    Thanks.

4. Cubsfan16 thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is turned on, I've never turned it off except for trying to reset it to see if that was a fix. I also have an iPad mini and the apps download automatically on that without a problem. I used to just go into notification center and see which apps have downloaded but now I have to go into the app store to get them to download.

----------

I don't think there should be any lag. The apps on my mini automatically download and then I'll look on my phone and notice the same app hasn't downloaded yet so I go into the app store to update it. Sometimes it's a full day or two later, it shouldn't be that way.

5. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Do you have use cellular data for auto updates and App Store turned off?

Try signing out of the App Store via settings -> iTunes & App Store, then reset the device by holding the home and power buttons down till the screen goes blank and apple logo pops back up. Once it's rebooted sign back into the App Store and try and turn on auto updates.

6. Cubsfan16 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I have cellular data on for auto updates, I've owned every iphone except for the 5c so I'm pretty knowledgeable with ios. It's just not working the way it should. Thanks for your response, I'll definitely try what you suggested.

7. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

It doesn't happen right when the apps are available. It takes some time, it checks by itself. If it finds any it updates them. Usually checks when on Wi-Fi and/or plugged into power.

8. Cubsfan16 thread starter macrumors member

When 8.0.1 was released my wife's auto downloaded that day so I waited to see how long it would take for mine. A week later it still didn't download so I just did it manually. It's doing the same for my apps.

9. pmcjr macrumors member

This is good info. I'll see if it makes a difference to have the phone plugged in and on Wi-Fi.

10. Cubsfan16 thread starter macrumors member

For me that doesn't help. Before I had this problem I'd get a badge app icon notifying me of an update. The app would not update until I connected to Wi-Fi or if I went in and updated manually. Now there's no badge app icon it's just go in and do everything manually. Maybe resetting phone settings will fix it.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

What do you have under Settings->Notifications->AppStore?

12. Cubsfan16 thread starter macrumors member

Allow notifications is on, badge app icon is on, show on lock screen is on as well. The updates just aren't being pushed to my phone.

13. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Same here. They do not update on their own.

I have cellular data toggled on too.

14. Cubsfan16 thread starter macrumors member

Me too. Auto updates worked for me before ios 8 so it has to be something with that, but like I said, auto updates are working on my iPad mini on iOS 8 so who knows.

15. pmcjr macrumors member

This morning, I plugged in the phone to recharge and the latest app updates I had just seen on iTunes, updated automatically. I was also on Wi-Fi. I don't think this should be the only way it updates, but maybe it is. On the other hand, my iPad updated at the same time without being plugged in.

16. Cubsfan16 thread starter macrumors member

Mine aren't updating even when plugged in and on Wi-Fi, there's gotta be something going wrong with them pushing to my device.

17. pmcjr macrumors member

Let's face it, Cubsfan, somebody at Apple just doesn't like you. :) I do think, though, that the automatic update is, at best, a hit and miss proposition. Me, after seeing a new app update on iTunes (I check this daily), I'll continue to check my iPhone and iPad and manually update if necessary.

18. Cubsfan16 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I'll check mine daily, I think it just bugs me because it isn't working like it was before.

19. pmcjr macrumors member

Cubsfan...I found this on the Apple Forums. I'm sure it applies to iOS 8 as well.

>>>Do you have automatic updates on?
    Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Updates > On

Apps don't update as soon as the update is available.
    iOS 7 tries to be smart about when it allows activity like this take place, often waiting until your iPhone or iPad is being charged and is not otherwise being used. As the Apple website says: "Intelligently scheduled updates: iOS schedules updates during power-efficient times. Like when your device is on and connected to Wi-Fi. So your battery isn’t drained unnecessarily."
    My app updates often take place overnight when I'm sleeping and my iPhone is charging.<<<<