Automatic area code

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lionheartednyhc, Jul 29, 2009.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I have an out of state phone number so I have to punch in area codes for local numbers here, which is annoying. I used to have a palm that would type in a pre-set area code automatically.

Is there anyway to do this on the iphone, either in settings that I have missed or an app (JB or official)?

Thanks

2. jlwillia macrumors regular

I'm not sure I completely understand...

First, you don't need to type any area codes if they're saved as a contact in your phone with the area code. I assume you realize that.

Therefore, the only numbers you will have to type in the area code for are ones that you don't call often enough to have in your phone. So if you don't call them often enough to save in your phone, is it really that much of a hassle to just type the 3 extra digits? Or just save it in your phone.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I am in the exact same situation. I live in a different area code from where my phone number was issued. If I'm calling for a pizza or some other business I have gotten in the habit of just typing the area code. If it's a friend (even someone I've just met that I may never call), I will just add them to my contacts. Granted, this means I have over 250 contacts, but if you go through them every three months or so, you can get rid of the old ones quickly.

Sorry this doesn't exactly answer you're question, but maybe it can be a solution that will work for you.

3. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Yeah, I know. im lazy :p Just though it was a cool feature that I wish the iphone had..

4. jlwillia macrumors regular

It definitely sounds like a cool feature. Just out of curiosity, what happens when you travel with the phone to a different area code? Would it still automatically type the original area code (from the location you are no longer in) if you type a 7-digit number instead of 10? If so, how would you turn the feature off? If it is something that is ALWAYS automatically done unless turned off, wouldn't that be a background app that would not be currently allowed on the iPhone?

Hopefully someone with a little more technical knowledge can chip in to shed some light. Maybe if this gets enough discussion going, someone can create such an app if it can be done.

5. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Yeah, if you traveled you would need to turn it off. The only time it added a area code is when you typed in a 7 digit number (w/o area code). If you dialed a 10 digit (w/ a diff area code) then it would just dial that without adding anything.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

pre-set area codes are a lot less useful than they used to be. In Mass, an individual town can have two area codes. This makes it difficult to set up the pre-set codes. In fact. you can't dial a number now without doing all digits.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, we've had to type all 10 digits for a long time now.

There are 2 area codes overlapping in my county and 2 more within 'local' calling distance.

So I've been dialing 10 digits for a long time on ALL phones. I'm used to it now.

8. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

One similar cool feature I had on my old Sprint Sanyo 7300 was the ability to add a preset area+exchange. This was great for work because I could just dial someone's four digit extension and the phone would automatically fill in the first six digits just like if I was in the building at my desk.