Automatic back up program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by devil4life409, Sep 21, 2007.

1. devil4life409 macrumors newbie

I am looking for a free automatic back up program to sync my thumb drive with a folder on my mac. What would be the best solution?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Carbon Copy Cloner is a wonderful little backup program. It's also free. It specializes in disk cloning and general backup, but it should be able to cope with the simple task you have for it.

3. devil4life409 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the fast reply, it is exatly what I was looking for.

4. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Well, in under a month, we will have Time Machine. :)

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, true... but Time Machine isn't well-suited to small synchonization tasks like the one the OP is trying to do. For that purpose, programs like CCC are great.

6. bunger macrumors 6502

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago and found this free one from Lacie: http://www.lacie.com/silverkeeper/

It's called silverkeeper and does exactly what I need it to. You select the source (and set exceptions if their are folders under the source you don't want to backup) and the destination, and then let it rip. You can then save those settings as a "backup set" so the next time you launch it, you just need to click the "go" button.

I should note that it will work with any destination and that it is NOT lacie-specific. My external drive is actually a SimpleTech...

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I didn't know that that one was free... thanks for the link! I will add it to my list of free backup/synchronization/cloning programs for the Mac.