Automatic Backup Apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by foomex, Jun 24, 2008.

1. foomex macrumors newbie

Anyone knows of any backup utilities for MacOSX where I can schedule automatic backups?

My boss directed me to "Backup 3.1.2" and told me it was free but it appears it's only for .Mac users, which I'm not.

The free-er the better. I <3 free stuff :cool:

Thanks in advance.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Well of course there is Time Machine. It works well for what it does. Automatic hourly backups.

The other one I use is EMC's "Retrospect". It has a lot of flexibility and can do incremental backups and even go across the network.

And then Every mac ships with "rsync". this will sync a folder or a disk to a folder or disk on the same or a remote computer. in the terminal type "man rsync" for more infor. But touse it you have to type and many peole can't do that. So there are any number of graphical front ends to rsync most use "sync" as part of their name.

The problem with programs like these are that all they do is make an exact copy. This has two problems (1) It overwrites the older copy that was already on the backup disk, so no history is preserved. So if you have just before the backup corrupted a file your backup will overwrite your only good copy. Much better to only copy over the changes after the last backup and (2) for most people copying only the changes is much, much faster. Look for a way to make incremental copies. Time Machine, Retrospect and Apple's Backup, and even the old standby "dump" can make incremental (dump is included with Mac OS X)

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

5. alan7 macrumors newbie

mini guide to backup online

Hi all. Saving my most essential data has become a must!!!! I finally found a great guide to online backup with useful and simple information on this service. Get it!!!
    http://memopal.clickmeter.com/495916.html

6. foomex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! I'll give SuperDuper! a try. :cool: