Automatic backup feature without Time Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kamin99, Dec 19, 2008.

1. kamin99 macrumors member

Hi lads. just a newbie question form a recently converted MBP late 2008,
    Is it possible to use the Automatic backup feature without having the Time Machine, basically I have a buffalo 320GB wireless NAS ,and despite the fact that my MBP can see it on the network it wont give me the option to use it as a backup Disk
    I have a feeling that this feature is valid only if you have a time machine, which would be a shame really for those who already have different storage disks:eek:

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Actually Time Machine is the backup software on your Mac and Time Capsule is the physical "Apple branded" drive for external backups. There are some external drives that are not compatible with Time Machine. Someone with more experience with Macs will need to chime in to help you with the last part.

3. kamin99 thread starter macrumors member

Oops :eek:,thanks for the corrections. well wait and see if someone will give us a hand around this topic

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well one pertinent question here is how is the existing drive formatted? Time Machine will not work with PC formatted drives (either FAT32 or NTFS). Even though OSX can see the drives in PC format on the network, they need to be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with an appropriate Partition Map Scheme for your type of Mac (GUID or APM) for Time Machine to work with it.

5. kamin99 thread starter macrumors member

many thanks,but how can you format to GUID or APM ?which program can do it? and what is the format for the new unibody MBP?

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, well since it is a unibody we will be dealing with GUID then.

The GUID refers to the "Partition Map Scheme" which is a separate part of formatting a drive for Mac use. In formatting you will be setting it up with a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format and a GUID Partition Map Scheme.

Now either some experimentation or advice from someone else will be necessary as to whether or not you can successfully format and partition the NAS drive in its current configuration or whether it has to be hooked directly to your Mac- I have yet to run a NAS drive, so I cannot tell you.

At any rate, since you can see it in Disk Utility, I would hope you could do it as it stands. Keep in mind that anything currently on the drive will be lost by formatting and partitioning it though.

I will give you a little overview of what you need to do:

1. Go into Disk Utility and select your drive in the list on the left.
    2. Click the "Partition" tab at the top of the window.
    3. Use the pulldown menu under "Volume Scheme" to change from "Current" to "1 Partition" as shown below.
    4. The "Options" button at the bottom should now be black (selectable)- click it and select GUID in the window that will appear.
    5. Give your drive a name if you wish in the "Volume Information" section, and make sure the "Format:" reads Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    6. Click "Apply" at the bottom, and click "Partition" in the window that will appear.

In a few seconds your drive will be erased and partitioned into a Time Machine compatible condition and you will be ready to go! :)

Attached Files:

• du.jpg
      du.jpg
      File size:
      47.6 KB
      Views:
  7. kamin99 thread starter macrumors member

Wow This is amazing, I would have never figured it out on my own in 100 Years
    Thanks.Thanks,And a million Thanks for all the advice;) I will try it and update you

8. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

As I understood, only Time Capsule works with Time Machine as a network backup drive. Other drives work but need to be physically connected with USB of FW??

9. kamin99 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm, I wil have to give i a try during Xmas then