automatic downloads on Verizon iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulold, Oct 13, 2011.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

I currently have an iPhone 4 with AT&T. On Friday I will be switching to the iPhone 4S on Verizon. My coworker has an iPhone 4 on Verizon which he got back when it was first offered.

My coworker was talking to me this morning about the upgrade to iOS5 which after two attempts he has failed to complete. He said he got a warning that there were apps on his phone not yet in his iTunes, so he was worried he was going to lose them with the iOS upgrade.

So I asked him if he had automatic downloads set on his phone and he didn't know what that was. I showed him how to set it on my phone but we could not find the same screen on his. I then found this article (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4539) that says "Automatic Downloads is not compatible with iPhone 4 (CDMA Model)".

So what does this mean? Verizon iPhone 4 customers don't get this feature at all? Or does it still work via WiFi at least? Does iOS5 change anything about this? iCloud? I tried searching the forum and I saw some Verizon members mention using this feature on their phones. So I'm a bit confused. Can you or can't you, as a Verizon iPhone 4 user?

I myself really like this feature. Currently, I can buy a song using iTunes at work and listen to it, knowing it is automatically downloading to my iPhone and my MacBookPro at home. Very convenient. But when I switch to the Verizon iPhone 4S on Friday, do I lose this ability?

2. jnick macrumors member

OS 4.3 or later is required for that feature. Verizon iPhone 4 users did not get OS 4.3.x. The latest version they received was something like 4.2.10.

Now with iOS 5, Verizon users will be able to use this feature without any issue.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

What he said.

I'm stuck at 4.2.10 until I complete my upgrade later....

4. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! That's a relief cause I convinced my friend to switch to Verizon and we both don't want to lose this feature. Phew!