Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mchank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Is there a way to automatically sort different kinds of files that you copy from a usb drive or from web downloads? For instance, can Automator or another program move excel files to a certain folder, word to another, pictures to another, and so on?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Is there a way to automatically sort different kinds of files that you copy from a usb drive or from web downloads? For instance, can Automator or another program move excel files to a certain folder, word to another, pictures to another, and so on?
Sure. You should be able to do this using either Automator or by using AppleScript directly. However, you need to ask yourself why.

What useful purpose is there to organizing files by filetype?
Why not organize by task or by date instead?

Suffice it to say, I think that your organization scheme has the potential to cause a lot of headaches for you down the road. I don't know about how you work, but I rarely need three Word files at the same time. However, I may need a Word file, PDF, and JPEG at the same time. I find it far better to keep together those thing that I use together.

millap

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
United Kingdom
Another possibility is to use Spotlight and the 'Smart Folders' feature that was added as part of Tiger. You could then setup various smart searches to find all of your different file types, and it wouldn't matter where you keep them on your hard drive.

That's assuming that you have 10.4 Tiger ?

mchank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Sure. You should be able to do this using either Automator or by using AppleScript directly. However, you need to ask yourself why.

What useful purpose is there to organizing files by filetype?
Why not organize by task or by date instead?

Suffice it to say, I think that your organization scheme has the potential to cause a lot of headaches for you down the road. I don't know about how you work, but I rarely need three Word files at the same time. However, I may need a Word file, PDF, and JPEG at the same time. I find it far better to keep together those thing that I use together.

I connect to my work network to download pdfs, presentations, and such so through Safari and its time consuming to pick a different folder for every download. I want something that organizes files after its gone to the download folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.