Automatic file sync over network?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 61132, Feb 10, 2008.

1. 61132 Guest

Ok, my goal is to integrate my macbook pro in my vehicle. What I need to do, is when the MBP's power button is pressed, (this will be done automatically by an external power supply), the mac will see if it is connected to one of my pre-selected wifi networks. If it is, it will look for my other computer with my itunes library and sync with the itunes folder both ways. Once the sync is completed, the mac would go to sleep.

If the pre-selected networks are not found within a certain amount of time, the MBP would go to sleep. Also if my networked computer (my main MBP) is not found within a certain amount of time, the vehicle MBP would go to sleep as well.

I also would need an easy way to wake the MBP up over the network and initiate a sync.

In the end I would like it to work like this.

Drive home from work, park in garage, it will search for my network, then my main MBP. Once I go upstairs and plug my main MBP in, it will automatically find it and initiate a sync and then go to sleep. If I purchase a movie on my main MBP, I can wake the vehicle's MBP up and initiate a sync from inside the house, then have it automatically go back to sleep once the sync is over.

I'm hoping to complete this when I purchase another MBP (hopefully soon if apple updates the design)

Thanks for any insight!!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Chronosync will automatically initiate a sync when a computer joins a network.

3. 61132 thread starter Guest

Is there any way to get the MBP to sleep after the sync? Other than through the time option in energy settings?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

5. 61132 thread starter Guest

Are there any programs or scripts I can use to put the computer to sleep with one push of the power button? My MBP doesn't have this option, it just brings up the option dialog box.

6. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

You can set a hot corner in System Preferences to sleep the display.