Automatic graphics switching on 2012 MBPr

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by azzarocks86, Oct 23, 2013.

1. azzarocks86 macrumors newbie

Since upgrading, animations have become very glitchy and things like the dock and menu bar appear to shudder as they are coming into the screen when automatic graphics switching is turned on (see screenshot).

Attached Files:

2. JboyPro macrumors newbie

To switch or not to switch?

I have a 15" MBP mid 2010 with some graphics issues related to the high performance (non-board) graphics. Ideally I'd like to disable this and only use the integrated graphics not to have to deal with crashing programs.

My Q is, is disabling high performance graphics and option in Mavericks?

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Same here on my retina 15". Best workaround I found was to download gfxcardstatus and force the Mac into discrete graphics only.

EDIT: So graphics isn't a problem now, but the shorter battery life is going to be a pain in the arse now, considering that I frequently use the retina MBP out of my home, and wall plugs don't grow on trees :)

4. reery macrumors regular

reery

This shouldn't be considered as a workaround because you sacrifice battery life.

If resetting SMC and PRAM didn't help, then try a clean install. This solved all my issues with MV.

5. JboyPro macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll wait for the first update on Mavericks and do a clean install and see if it works better. If not I'll try forcing integrated graphics with gfxcardstatus.

It's such a pain that Apple logic boards for this gen MacBookPros are so bad. I've been very nice to my MBP mid 2010 always but still a memory slot has died on me and now this graphics/kernel panic issue going on.