Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
There are some programs that I always want full screen when active as the front application, but that I want to automatically be hidden when it is not the front program. For instance Mail.app I always want full screen when I'm reading mail, but when I'm not reading mail I don't want to see it's windows in the background. So I want it hidden when I'm using a different program, then unhides when I switch to Mail.app it'll come to the front, then when I apple-tab to another program I want it to automatically hide.

Currently I use spaces for programs that I always want nearly full screen, but that's not a good solution because sometimes when I have Mail.app in the front I also want to interact with other program's windows in the back ground. Also, I find the space switching animation to be quite annoying.

So is there a way to set specific programs to auto-hide when they are not the front application?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.