Automatic highlighting?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by StevieMooey, Jan 9, 2008.

1. StevieMooey macrumors member

Hi folks,

Warm greetings from Liverpool, UK!

After updating to 10.5.1, I've noticed a problem that seems to be getting worse. Of course might have nothing to do with the update, or Leopard, but it's driving me nuts, so any input would be gratefully received...

Leopard has started to randomly highlight text: for example, when Im using Pages, or filling out fields in Safari, it randomly highlights text as if I was pressing and holding down click. "Tap to click" is de-selected in keyboard system pref's, although in any case it does this when Im just moving the cursor around the screen.

As an academic who does an awful lot of writing, this is playing havoc with my workflow!

Any thoughts/ suggestions? Any ".com" files to delete or command lines that might stop this?

Thanks in advance,

Mooey

x

2. StevieMooey thread starter macrumors member

Ok.... my computer is getting virtually unusable now... what's going on here? I can't type a sentence without things being highlighted all over the place.... ianyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd be most grateful because I am close to tears here :(

Thanks,

Moeey

3. StevieMooey thread starter macrumors member

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”

Just repaired permissions and got:

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

What's this mean?
    :confused:

Thanks,

Mooey

Permissions repair complete

4. StevieMooey thread starter macrumors member

Aha... just noted that this "repair permissions" read-out is a known issue. Still, my problem remains: although I am enjoying this little discourse with myself. Feel free to chip in....

Mooey and Mooey

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Possibly mouse related, are you using a mouse with a third party driver installed? Have you tried another mouse?

The only other thing I can think of is having speech recognition turned on, which can do some weird-ass things sometimes

6. StevieMooey thread starter macrumors member

Hiya blodwyn thanks for the input:

I should have put my specs up: This issue relates to MacBook Pro CoreDuo 2Ghz. I'm not using separate mouse. Leopard 10.5.1

Speech recognition turned off- just checked.

I've tried various combinations of the trackpad settings to no avail. It's something to do with the trackpad. Are there any trackpad preferences I can nuke? Anyone?

Cheers,

Mooey

7. RebeccaAK macrumors newbie

Similar problem with highlighting

Hi Stevie

I installed new updates to the OS on my father's Mac (G4) last week and he just called to say that trying to highlight anything is driving him crazy. Highlighting seems to have a life of its own - sounds very much like your problem. Wonder if it's the OS update I downloaded? Unfortunately I live in the UK and my father lives in the US, so I'll have to work with him remotely to try and figure it out. Please let me know if you find out how to solve the problem and I'll do likewise...

Rebecca